cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FW Antenna rubbing holes in rubber roof

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
The antenna is rubbing holes in the rubber roof of our Fifth Wheel. I talked to the manufacturer of the antenna and apparently there should have been wedges installed due to the slope of the roof. They suggested we either re-install with the wedges or glue a piece of metal to the roof under the area where the antenna touches when traveling. Can anyone tell me what I can use to glue a piece of metal to the rubber? I tried outdoor duct tape to tape a piece of aluminum to protect the roof but the duct tape does not stick very well.
13 REPLIES 13

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
.... replace the crank up/down antenna with a fixed mount antenna. Never have to worry about cranking it down when you leave, and does not mess with your roof!

Our new 5th wheel has one of those fixed mount antennas and they absolutely stink. Reception is poor and the picture is "pixelated" whenever another car or truck or large bird goes by. You can't adjust or turn the antenna for the strongest signal. We are thinking about removing the fixed antenna and having one of the old standard Winegard amplified antennas installed.

My solution would be to have the dealer get you the proper wedges or just simply not crank the antenna down all the way, leave it an inch or so off the roof.
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting thread. While doing a pre-purchase inspection of the Grand Design we purchased on Friday I noticed that the antenna was already starting to rub on the roof. The curvature of the room prevented the antenna from sitting on the rubber 'feet' and the roof already shows a wear pattern. I brought that up and it will be addressed, but I suspect this is a rather common problem that many may not be aware of.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a rubber roof repair kit from CW. It has a cleaner, adhesive, and some rubber roofing material. There are only a couple of contact points on the roof, make some patches with the rubber material from the kit, clean the surface, I first used some TSP, a brush and plenty of water. Apply the adhesive and apply the patches. This will make a good base for the antenna to rest on. A better solution is replace the crank up/down antenna with a fixed mount antenna. Never have to worry about cranking it down when you leave, and does not mess with your roof!

jsum
Explorer
Explorer
K'sKamper wrote:
The antenna is rubbing holes in the rubber roof of our Fifth Wheel. I talked to the manufacturer of the antenna and apparently there should have been wedges installed due to the slope of the roof. They suggested we either re-install with the wedges or glue a piece of metal to the roof under the area where the antenna touches when traveling. Can anyone tell me what I can use to glue a piece of metal to the rubber? I tried outdoor duct tape to tape a piece of aluminum to protect the roof but the duct tape does not stick very well.

Why not have antenna manufacture send you the CORRECT pieces that are missing from yours??

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
When our 2001 alpenlite was new I saw the issue on rubbing as we travel so before eternabond was made I found a similar product that had a textured finish in a roll and cut squares to apply when the antenna would rub. Same deal just pull on the back and install. Still does the job.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Think I will do the caulk, aluminum plate then Eternabond.

Thank you everyone.

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Why not just put 2-3 layers of Eternabond over the rub area? Either that, or use the Eternabond to hold the metal down?

Lyle

I put a layer of Eternabond down last year and the glue sort of melted and slid.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I've used self stick felt pads (cut to fit) from the hardware store. Never lost one and they work great.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I would use some 4" Eternabond tape. It will not come off unless you use considerable effort to take it off. I would probably put a bit of caulking down first to bed the metal plate in and then use the tape around the edges to make sure it does not come off. Any tape left over you can save for roof repairs if needed.
Barney
That's what I did on mine when it looked like it might be rubbing a bit. Worked the treat.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget the metal...just more issues

Use the Eternabond Tape to cover area on roof where antenna makes contact.
Stuff is strong, tough, durable and compatible with roof material
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Why not just put 2-3 layers of Eternabond over the rub area? Either that, or use the Eternabond to hold the metal down?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I would use some 4" Eternabond tape. It will not come off unless you use considerable effort to take it off. I would probably put a bit of caulking down first to bed the metal plate in and then use the tape around the edges to make sure it does not come off. Any tape left over you can save for roof repairs if needed.
Barney

X2. An adhesive type caulk would probably be best. But, Dicor will do the job. Definitely use Eternabond around the metal, it will not come off.

I would use a piece of aluminum to avoid rust problems.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine