cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generater Wont Turn Over

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
I have an onan 5500 with about 12 hours total time on it. Usually go to storage and run it for a while. Last time it wouldn't turn over. Batteries are fully charged. Is there a fuse for the power to it for starting? Would appreciate any help.
7 REPLIES 7

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
I had to run a bigger gauge of wire directly to the positive post after the first year of use. OEM wiring was not keeping up with the voltage demand. I think Mile High actually directed me in this direction several years ago and it worked for me :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, will try your suggestions.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you press and hold the starter rocker button to the stop side for about 30 seconds. Sometimes you'll hear a click meaning the fault relays reset.

What happens is you may have had a fault while it tried to start the last time, such as no fuel, etc. and you have to reset before it will start again. I get that sometimes in the spring while trying to purge the propane fuel supply of air. If it cranks too long without sensing fuel it faults.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the responses. Sorry for me taking so long to get back. Would the little red button be in the compartment with the gen. or in the compartment with the batteries? Will go to the storage unit tomorrow and check it out. Also, yes the disconnect switch was on. Thanks again.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Check for a little red button mounted nearby, It is usually a heat sensor and if you bump into it or hit it by mistake with something then when you go to start the generator you will get absolutely nothing.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
measure for voltage at the starter; my guess is that it isn't getting any juice when you are telling it to crank
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

rbturner
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine there's a solenoid someplace that isn't working. Since it did nothing, are you sure that the battery disconnect switch was on?