cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to my first show.

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to the Greensboro RV show tomorrow, and I want to know what I should be looking for. My main purpose is to see what's available and check out the different floor plans. Is there any particular brand/model I should look for or stay away from? I'm not planning on buying anything until next year probably, so my checkbook is staying at home.
Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B
22 REPLIES 22

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
My advice would be to look at everything, not just fifth wheels.

Collect brochures for the brands - various models / floor plans.

Make notes on the things you like.

Note the "show prices" you see - so when you go looking for real,
you'll find you can easily beat those prices with a bit of effort!

Some dealers at shows (Pomona, CA comes to mind) want you to sign-in to their "guest list".
Of course that means mailing list, call list, etc.

(IMO) - I believe that shouldn't be necessary (or "required"), so I prefer to use real first name/s and fictitious last name, address & phone number.

BTW - don't be surprised by know-nothing sales persons!
Often busy shows rate lots of "newbies".

:B

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take flashlight on look in the back of cabinets, pull drawers, etc to see how they are really built. Is wiring and plumbing neat and secured. Cabinets should be screwed and glued and not stapled together.

Look beyond the glitz and bling. These are not a sign of quality, just used to pull your eye away from the poor construction.

Look at DRV and Arctic Fox. I would stay away from Thor products although they have gotten better over that last few years. Thor has bought DRV and Jayco this year, so they have not had time to get into their business and make them cheaper.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
That makes me feel A little better, I'm definitely looking for a 5er. I'll just plan on going to the Charlotte show to look around. We faired okay in the storm. No physical damage to the house or property, just 24 hours with out water, third day without power, and two unscheduled vacation days because I work for the local school district. I'm not complaining though, there are people A LOT more worse off than I am.
Brett

maskins
Explorer
Explorer
Askibum02 wrote:
Today was a bust. I got about 15 miles down the road and turned around thanks to Matthew. I'll try again tomorrow.

Don't feel bad about missing it. We went Friday night since I had to be in the triad anyway. We went in walked around and left in about an hour time. There was mainly travel trailers and motor homes which wasn't what we were looking for. I haven't been to a show since we bought our last trailer which was in 2008 and the shows seemed much bigger back then.

I also found it interesting that none of the Greensboro dealers were there.

PS I hope you are okay in Lillington. I saw a picture online where the cape fear was getting close to the 421 bridge.
Chevy Duramax
Wildcat 327RE

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
like real estate and location: i agree but also remember usability!!! sit on the the toilet, stand in the shower go through the motions as if you were using it. Floor plan and capacities are important. Don't buy at the show, you can get the same unit at the dealer for most likely a bit less after looking at others and comparing other dealers with the same model. I played the game with two separate dealers and saved another $2000. So do what everyone here said and of course have fun. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

newtondak
Explorer
Explorer
We're with Dick B on this one. A priority for us to be able to use the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom with the slides in.
Bill & Deb
North Dakota

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500
2005 Montana Mountainer

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
Today was a bust. I got about 15 miles down the road and turned around thanks to Matthew. I'll try again tomorrow.
Brett

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to Matthew I KNOW I won't be buying anything tomorrow. SWMBO is a Police Detective and is on call tomorrow, so it's just going to be the kids and I. I'll plan on going to the show in Charlotte so she can check things out.
Brett

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed out there tomorrow as well. Also add the Charlotte convention to you list of shows. It usually runs in the January timeframe. 2 years ago, the Charlotte show was about 2 or 3 times the size of the Greensboro show.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Among the many considerations my hot button is to be able to use the toilet and galley with the slides closed at a Rest Area.

X2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
If you see one you like take a picture of the outside of the RV/trailer and the model tag then inside pictures. Doing this will separate the pictures of each RV in your pictures.
Use a backpack to carry brochures, they get heavy and it will free up your hands.
We also look to see if if you can access the fridge and bathroom with the slide in.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
After a while they will all look alike.....so do your home work before you go.....Have an idea what brands you want to look at, Have an idea what type of floor plan you want to see, Pay little to no attention to what the salesman tells you that is where the home work kicks in.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Know your trucks tow rating and payload capacity. Take that with you and you'll be able to eliminate the ones that are to heavy. It's very easy to go to RV shows with a particular size and price in mind, then when you tour the show before you know it your in the bigger more expensive ones.
Also never make eye contact with a sales person. Once you do they jump on it.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Take a note pad and pencil and jot down the models and prices of what you like. You are going to be overwhelmed with brand and floor plan proliferation. Pretty soon they all start to look alike and recalling a certain RV becomes difficult.