cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to my first show.

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to the Greensboro RV show tomorrow, and I want to know what I should be looking for. My main purpose is to see what's available and check out the different floor plans. Is there any particular brand/model I should look for or stay away from? I'm not planning on buying anything until next year probably, so my checkbook is staying at home.
Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B
22 REPLIES 22

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We went to shows for about 5 years before we figured out what we wanted. So you're just getting started.

Use your first show to formulate initial opinions about what you like, what you can afford, must-have features. Also, pay attention to the dealers represented. Most manufacturers have multiple brands that are essentially the same thing, but have different dealer representation. Knowing which dealer you would prefer to work with can save running around later. You can even meet some sales persons and start forming opinions, or at least weeding out the Bozos.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Go with absolutely NO expectations and just let things surprise you ... positive and negative. That's the way to have fun at RV shows. Don't go with the expectation of scoping things out, analyzing and picking everything apart. Go to have fun. Take lots of photos, pick up lots of brochures from the various dealers. Enjoy the food (if there is any), dream, ask questions, look for experienced RVers and strike up a conversation, make new friends, and just have fun. When it's all over ... then the questions will start to form as you look back and recall your photos.

Also, don't settle for just one model, like Fifth Wheels only, or Class-C's only. Look at everything, like a kid in a toy store! Your feet can't move fast enough. Take it all in. Yes, be overwhelmed. It will sort out in time.

I don't think there is a "bad" brand "out there" or any "brand" or type of camper to be avoided. There's something for everyone. It's all a matter of your own mind set.

Best advise, just go and have fun! Look at ALLLLLLLL of them!

Edit:

Sunday afternoon when you are home in your living room watching the television, take a minute and give a reply of your thoughts and observations to the RV show. I think if you attempt to vocalize (or type it out) your thoughts will begin to focus. You are your best teacher! Really!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Askibum02 wrote:
I'm going to the Greensboro RV show tomorrow, and I want to know what I should be looking for. My main purpose is to see what's available and check out the different floor plans. Is there any particular brand/model I should look for or stay away from? I'm not planning on buying anything until next year probably, so my checkbook is staying at home.

You're lucky in that there will be a number of dealers there, so you'll get to see many more models. Many of the "RV shows" we have here in AZ are single-dealer shows, i.e. a La Mesa RV-only "show", so you're limited to the brands that that dealer carries.

I can't argue with the other answers already given; all pretty good.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Among the many considerations my hot button is to be able to use the toilet and galley with the slides closed at a Rest Area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You will likely see no more than 2-3 floor plans from any given manufacturer. If some particular brand(s) really catch your eye as far as appearance, features, finish, etc., then find nearby large dealers for that brand(s). They are likely to have additional floor plans on their lots to see. For the most part, they all have slight variations of the same floor plans.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be to look at everything, not just fifth wheels.
You're not going to the show to buy, enjoy yourself and don't let the dealers corner you and tell you what a great deal it is IF you buy today. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I would consider weight and length. Be sure your tow truck can handle the weight and length of the trailer. Then the use of the the trailer .... will you be doing camping in national forest..dry camping. ...or will you use commercial campgrounds with full hookup? 5th wheel or travel trailer? Jim2007...
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
Look at models with 2yr warranty