cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good lubricant for landing gear

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to add some lubricant to our landing gear, which is part of the Lippert 6-point auto-leveling system. What would be the best lubricant to use for this? Would something like Pro SL like you'd use on a garage door be appropriate?

We've already had the actual hydraulic fluid replaced, we're working on eliminating the "knocking" noise coming from the Landing Gear when in down position. Any guidance is welcome 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor
7 REPLIES 7

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckSteed wrote:
Don’t know if he has electric or hydraulic. But Inventurento say since his post says he had hydraulic fluid replaced he has HYD system. The exposed piston legs can be wiped with transmission fluid, fork oil, etc. primary thing is to wipe before retracting to remove dirt and dust from surface before retracting inside Assy.......

My bad, you are 100% correct. I'm the one that is having problems understanding the written word. 😮

I agree with you he would probably should use auto transmission fluid or some oil to give it a wipe down before retracting them to get any dirt or crud off so it doesn't wreck a seal. For long term extension I would use the CRC that I posted as it will stick to the piston and stay there protecting from rust.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t know if he has electric or hydraulic. But Inventurento say since his post says he had hydraulic fluid replaced he has HYD system. The exposed piston legs can be wiped with transmission fluid, fork oil, etc. primary thing is to wipe before retracting to remove dirt and dust from surface before retracting inside Assy.......

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckSteed wrote:
https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

That is for use with hydraulic jacks pump system and does not protect the ram pistons when extended for long periods of time and I believe OP has the electric 6 point jack setup.

I use CRC with PTFE like this.

CRC High Performance Lubricant with PTFE
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

jtaylor1920
Explorer
Explorer
If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack rods with
a silicone lubricant every three months for protection. If the trailer is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every 4-6 weeks.
John, Laurie & the 2 Schnauzers (Mazie & Obi)
2016 GMC Duramax Dually
2018 Cardinal 3350RLX
B&W Companion Hitch

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Dry silicone spray that's used on the slide outs.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking along the line of a dry lubricant that will not attract dirt.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.