cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a Durango Gold 380FLF?

cubmaster252
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are about are considering upgrading our TT to a fifth wheel. We are smitten with the Durango Gold 380FLF. Would love to hear from anyone who has one of these units. We are not ready to full time but would like the option of doing so in 3 to 4 years, we believe this model would suit our style.

If you have one of these, please share your experience about the unit.

Thanks
Steven
2015 Crossroads Zinger 32QB
2015 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 QUAD CAB with HD Tow Package
Nights camped in 2015 - 33
Nights camped in 2016 - 17
8 REPLIES 8

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
cubmaster252 wrote:
All very good mods Wackaway. I can't believe I did not think to replace the Thermostat in my existing TT before you mentioned it. I replaced all the ones in the house, doh!

How long does it take you to install the screen room and is the floor of it open to the ground or more like a tent floor?

I had upgraded the thermostats in my house from the digital honeywells to smarthome honeywells a few years ago. So now, instead of sitting in a junk drawer, I put them to use in the RV.

You can see in a lot of online info for Thermostat replacement, take tons of pictures as you uninstall the original and tag the wires as you disconnect them. Not only will they come in handy for troubleshooting, but you can use the pics in case you need to roll back to the original if your system is not able to handle a digital thermostat.

For the screen room, I don't get it until Tuesday. Most of the online info seems to say it takes about 15 minutes on a TT. Since I have a tall 5'r, I'll need to get up on a ladder to hook to the trailer side straps. I'm guessing 20-30 minutes for me. The unit does not have a floor like a tent. I already have a mat that is the size of the awning. I'll fold the room's ground skirt underneath the mat to keep the dog in (hopefully). I can't find any online video of someone installing this room onto a 5'r so I may make one and post it for others. We'll see how it goes.
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger

cubmaster252
Explorer
Explorer
All very good mods Wackaway. I can't believe I did not think to replace the Thermostat in my existing TT before you mentioned it. I replaced all the ones in the house, doh!

How long does it take you to install the screen room and is the floor of it open to the ground or more like a tent floor?

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the DW is one of those that "Every place has a thing -v- every thing has a place". :R. I do need to check on my weights so I can explain that we can only take so much because of the design of the rig. We'll see how well that works, haha.

Back to the 380FLF. I have made a few upgrades/mod's already. If you want pics or details, feel free to contact me here or PM me.

Mod #1: Upgrade batteries
If you're going to do anything more than 2 days/nights off the chord, I suggest that make this mod. I went from the stock two 12 volt batteries, to four 6 volt Trojan T105's. Or, a better way to look at it is, @78 amp hours to @450 amp hours of power.

Mod 2: Upgrade Thermostats to Honeywell Programmables
I did not like the Coleman stock t-stats. For one thing, I couldn't see the switch settings or temp without my glasses or turning on a light (old and blind). The new ones can be programmed to warm the rig before getting up in the morning. Also, with the digital display you can see the exact temp and settings. Easier to control power usage.

Mod 3: Install Cellular Router with Wifi
I wanted the ability to work from the road, so I installed a Mofi Router and carry sims for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. I use which ever one has best coverage for a particular spot. I still need to install external antenna to improve bringing in the signals.

Mod 4: Improve Outdoor use in Weather
Ordered a Carefree 291800 Vacation'r Screen Room for 18' to 19' Awning. Should be here next week. We like going to the beach and having a way be outside when there is wind/rain will be nice. I picked up a Mr. Heater F274830 MH18B Big Buddy Grey Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Heater to keep it cozy.

Mod 5: Improve finding TV stations
With the stock setup, it's like hunting for Easter eggs with blinders on. Installed one of these, Winegard RFL-332 SensarPro Black TV Signal Strength Meter and now it's easy to lock on to what's available quickly.

Mod 6: Add Awning Side Water and Ice Maker
We figured the mini fridge behind the outdoor TV would not see much use other than BBQ sauce since we're not beer or soda drinkers. We thought a better use of that space was to install a hot/cold water port and an ice maker. I removed the mini-fridge (2 screws) and plumbed in a Quick Disconnect Faucet with this coil hose and a sprayer. What's nice is the plumbing for the kitchen sink is up in this same area, so tapping in to hot/cold water was easy. We use lots of ice and this Ice Maker pumps out ice like crazy. It's really nice having water and ice where we usually set up the outdoor cooking area. Just swing the TV out and and its' all right there.

Mod 7: Improve shower head and water usage
Stock shower head was not quite adequate. Felt like you'd never get the soap rinsed off. We were using far too much water during showers. Also, having the ability to shutoff the flow while lathering stunk. I replaced the stock unit with these items: Flow Control Valve, extra long shower hose and a OXYGENICS Shower Head. Now its much better when rinsing off and we're using less water for each shower. The long hose also allows you to spray/rinse the toilet bowl after cleaning it.

Mod 8: Install TPMS
A TPMS is a must. I installed this system - CARCHET Tire Pressure Monitoring System as an immediate fix. However, I want to get a system that will report to the system my truck has. Just waiting for some after market systems to come out which hopefully will be better priced.

Planned next mods. No particular order:
Install wireless backup camera.
Install 480 watt solar, 3000 watt inverter and 50 amp switch.
Add 2 more T105 batteries and move all to wet-box (center the weight).
Install macerator system.
Install keyless entry.
Install dimmers in bedroom, kitchen and living room.
Install 12vdc to 5vdc (2 amp) converter and phone charging station by pantry counter.
Todd & Victri

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
mudmaker wrote:
WackAway wrote:
Did you make the leap? Hope you did, you won't be sorry.

We picked ours up in Oct. and love it. The reasons we chose the Durango Gold 380FLF are:
1. Huge front room. Great for entertaining when there's weather.
2. Great kitchen setup. Big fridge and lots of storage.
3. Large bathroom and biggest shower we found.
4. Bedroom is awesome. With King bed, still biggest bedroom we found.
5. Access from drivers side was a plus for us.
6. Storage, storage, storage. Wife is still trying fill it up. ๐Ÿ™‚
7. Outdoor entertainment. TV and small fridge.
8. Fold-down rear bumper storage with bike rack.

Enjoy!

You should relay to your DW that just because there are cupboards and storage everywhere doesn't mean it need something in it. Lol.
Wish I could convince my mother of that. So many things fall in the category of might use. Might is a day that apparently is long time waiting.

That is the case with us too. Last couple of years in the fall, when putting the trailer away for winter, we go through it, and if something wasn't used the entire summer, it comes out of the trailer. Its so easy to get overloaded with stuff we might use, but then never do.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
WackAway wrote:

We picked ours up in Oct. and love it. The reasons we chose the Durango Gold 380FLF are:

Enjoy!

You should relay to your DW that just because there are cupboards and storage everywhere doesn't mean it need something in it. Lol.
Wish I could convince my mother of that. So many things fall in the category of might use. Might is a day that apparently is long time waiting.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

cubmaster252
Explorer
Explorer
We have not made the leap just yet. Our Winter RV show is coming up in 4 weeks so we'll be getting the itch soon.

Glad you are enjoying the unit. In all my searches, I still haven't found or seen anything I like better than this unit/layout.

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoy!
Todd & Victri

cubmaster252 wrote:
My wife and I are about are considering upgrading our TT to a fifth wheel. We are smitten with the Durango Gold 380FLF. Would love to hear from anyone who has one of these units. We are not ready to full time but would like the option of doing so in 3 to 4 years, we believe this model would suit our style.

If you have one of these, please share your experience about the unit.

Thanks
Steven

we looked at them.. the huge turning point for us was the fact that you had to use the street side door if you need to use the bathroom while traveling.. OR put the street side slide out and use the regular door... this was not an option for us..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet