cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design Solitude Tow Vehicle

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a used Grand Design Solitude 369, GVWR 16,000, UVW 12,650, pin weight 2575. Also looking to buy a new tow vehicle that will be my everyday driver/fishing vehicle and I really want a 6.5 foot bed and single rear tires. I am thinking a 3500 GMC with a Duramax. Does anyone tow this trailer with a vehicle like this? We will be making one long trip each year and staying for two to three months then maybe two or three trips of less than 150 miles. I just don't want to deal with a dual wheel truck for an everyday driver.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
20 REPLIES 20

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delay, I do not have the washer and dryer combo.
Chris

Me Again wrote:
cdtretta wrote:
I own a 369 RL, and a short bed Ram 3500. I have weighed my rig multiple times, and can tell you that the real pin weight on my trailer is closer to 3500lbs with all of the stuff I carry. That a short bed works fine if you set the hitch back a bit. My RAWR is 7000lbs, and I am slightly over that, but the AAM axle is rated for a higher weight as long as the rims and the tires are also rated for that. I am OK to 7600 lbs on my tires, and my rims are okay. I do have air bags to control chucking only. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a dually with a 3.73 rear, but only because it would have put me in the sweet spot for my Cummins. Otherwise, I have towed over 23,000 miles with this rig, and I love it. I recently got rid of my slider and moved to a "puck" based B&W hitch instead, and I love it. If you go short bed, non slider, then do what I did and take it to an empty spot and back it up and see how far you can go.

The web is full of opinions. Mine is only one of them. I have weighed, I have the miles, and I have a CDL. For whatever that is worth, there you go.
Chris

Do you have a washer and dryer up front in the bedroom? Chris

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
cdtretta wrote:
I own a 369 RL, and a short bed Ram 3500. I have weighed my rig multiple times, and can tell you that the real pin weight on my trailer is closer to 3500lbs with all of the stuff I carry. That a short bed works fine if you set the hitch back a bit. My RAWR is 7000lbs, and I am slightly over that, but the AAM axle is rated for a higher weight as long as the rims and the tires are also rated for that. I am OK to 7600 lbs on my tires, and my rims are okay. I do have air bags to control chucking only. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a dually with a 3.73 rear, but only because it would have put me in the sweet spot for my Cummins. Otherwise, I have towed over 23,000 miles with this rig, and I love it. I recently got rid of my slider and moved to a "puck" based B&W hitch instead, and I love it. If you go short bed, non slider, then do what I did and take it to an empty spot and back it up and see how far you can go.

The web is full of opinions. Mine is only one of them. I have weighed, I have the miles, and I have a CDL. For whatever that is worth, there you go.
Chris

Your 3500 is a 2013 model.........which is 1st year an SRW was capable of that weight but pushing ratings
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
cdtretta wrote:

Chris

Do you have a washer and dryer up front in the bedroom? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Quite simple either you believe in the tow ratings or you don't. If you don't believe in them get what ever truck you desire.
If you do have faith in the tow ratings get a truck that is designed to tow your trailer and be within ALL of the towing parameters
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer

Chris

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
The SRW will do it but you are probably going to be over on something. For your described use, I would do it. If you were full timing or lots of miles then go bigger.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
Gsport wrote:
I've got well over 20,000 miles towing my 369RL with a 2011 SRW, short bed, 3500HD. It is my daily driver too, with absolutely no problems..

All I can say is you've had very, VERY good luck!

I've never been able to win more than $10 playing the lotto so my luck sucks but I've been towing heavy with SRW's my whole driving life and have not ever had an issue because I didn't have training wheels.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Then don't buy that big of a trailer you need a drw for that trailer

No they don't..........
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So a new 3500 4x4 diesel has.

RGAWR 7050
5th wheel trailer 17,200 SB and 16,900 LB
GVWR 11,500 SB and 11,600 LB

GCWR 25,100 SB and LB
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
lee worsdell wrote:
I pull a 41 ft 15500 with my 2500 . I have put on 15000 miles last year with no issues. Bigger tire for more weight and a set of air bags,

Gsport wrote:
I've got well over 20,000 miles towing my 369RL with a 2011 SRW, short bed, 3500HD. It is my daily driver too, with absolutely no problems..

I will bet dollars to donuts neither of you have even been across a set of scales to see how much over your ratings you are.....and that you really don't want to know or care

OP........
A PROPERLY equipped 2013 or newer 350/3500 SRW will handle that weight of trailer---but it will be pushing the trucks ratings (mostly GVWR)

2012 or older........NOPE not in SRW
That would require DRW

It will be a new truck. I can spec it any way I want or need. I would check the numbers and make sure it would work before I bought.

Most of the weight is on the trailer and it has single tires and wheels, although 4 of them.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lee worsdell wrote:
I pull a 41 ft 15500 with my 2500 . I have put on 15000 miles last year with no issues. Bigger tire for more weight and a set of air bags,

Gsport wrote:

I will bet dollars to donuts neither of you have even been across a set of scales to see how much over your ratings you are.....and that you really don't want to know or care

OP........
A PROPERLY equipped 2013 or newer 350/3500 SRW will handle that weight of trailer---but it will be pushing the trucks ratings (mostly GVWR)

2012 or older........NOPE not in SRW
That would require DRW
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
:R
waltbennett wrote:
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
I am looking at a used Grand Design Solitude 369, GVWR 16,000, UVW 12,650, pin weight 2575. Also looking to buy a new tow vehicle that will be my everyday driver/fishing vehicle and I really want a 6.5 foot bed and single rear tires. I am thinking a 3500 GMC with a Duramax. Does anyone tow this trailer with a vehicle like this? We will be making one long trip each year and staying for two to three months then maybe two or three trips of less than 150 miles. I just don't want to deal with a dual wheel truck for an everyday driver.

I'd suggest you look at a HDT if you want something to really get around in. They've got the towing and pin ratings, but also much more venerability than a pickup based truck. I rode for a while in an International that I really liked and it would pull our Montana even better than our F350.

:? Look at a HDT?!? OP doesn't even want a dually!! A 1 ton dually would EASILY TOW A 16K GVW 5th wheel! No need whatsoever for a semi cab.. My truck has a GVWR of 14K, and with Aisin tranny and 4.10, has a GCWR OF 39,100#! You need to re-look at capabilities of the newer 1- ton Duallys.

If OP GETS RIGHT CONFIGURED 1 ton SRW, he can tow a 16K 5er with it

To the OP.. Short bed cuts down on GCWR, and may cause you to possibly need a slider... If you don't want a dually as your daily driver, make sure you get the right truck for the job, or don't go heavier. A 1 ton dually has been my daily drive for 11 years now. I got a dually to be sure I had the right truck for my towing needs.

It IS for sure that it would be 10 times easier using a dually for a daily driver than a HDT.. Heck? I'd have a hard time parking it at work
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:

I'd suggest you look at a HDT if you want something to really get around in. They've got the towing and pin ratings, but also much more venerability than a pickup based truck. I rode for a while in an International that I really liked and it would pull our Montana even better than our F350.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Gsport wrote:

All I can say is you've had very, VERY good luck!
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.