cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartland Error

Pete15
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2014 Heartland Torque SS, model #261. The VIN placard indicated the trailer was equipped with ST235/80R16E tires and appropriate axel to fit my desired needs. However, when returning from a recent trip I had one of the tires blow. When the tire was being changed the technician informed me the tires and axel did not match what was on the VIN placard. I informed Heartland and they sent me a letter informing me the VIN placard of the trailer was incorrect and they provided me with a new placard indicating the actual tire size. Unfortunately, it appears this hauler can't carry the amount of weight I was told it could.

Can I have a new axel, springs and tires placed on the hauler in order to increase the cargo capacity? Is this even safe?
16 REPLIES 16

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per Heartland

GVWR 10,500#
(2) 5000# axles
ST235/80R15 E tires (3195#/65psi-----12,780#)

What did old data plate indicate?

What does new data plate indicate?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
So what tire size and load does your trailer actually have on it?
Your gvw is only 10500lbs...do your current tires support this load?

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Heartland! Step up and take care of this issue.I am looking at toyhaulers,and this may be a deciding factor.Stand by your product !!!
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Pete15 wrote:
Dealer said go after Heartland

The dealer really should act as a representative for you.. I classify it as a cop-out that the dealer won't assist you with this manner.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
To your original question, you can put bigger / higher capacity tires and axles under the trailer. But, that will not necessarily increase the load carrying capacity of your trailer, which is also a function of frame strength.

I've got to wonder if they got the axles and tires wrong, did they also overstate what the frame can handle? Because if you the consumer changes the axles and tires it can give them cause to deny all warranty claims. Keep working on having the factory make any changes.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

dedmiston
kaydeejay wrote:
Pete15 wrote:
I am just trying to make the most of a bad situation which is why I am wondering about changing the axel and tires.
If the wheels and tires can support the weight on them (trailer weight MINUS the pin weight) when loaded to GVWR, then you do not have a case!
At worst the Manufacturer made an error with the label.
Now, if the wheels and tires on the unit CANNOT support the actual weight on them, then you should go after them with both barrels blazing!
Good luck

T-O-Y H-A-U-L-E-R

Case

*Mic drop*

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Pete15 wrote:
I am just trying to make the most of a bad situation which is why I am wondering about changing the axel and tires.
If the wheels and tires can support the weight on them (trailer weight MINUS the pin weight) when loaded to GVWR, then you do not have a case!
At worst the Manufacturer made an error with the label.
Now, if the wheels and tires on the unit CANNOT support the actual weight on them, then you should go after them with both barrels blazing!
Good luck
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Did the vin plaque indicate a smaller tire?

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have a successful outcome...Just another reason I will never buy a Heartland product.
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

dedmiston
I'd give Heartland a chance to make it right (new tires and axle(s) to match what you were sold). If they don't make it right, fix it yourself out of pocket and then pursue the matter with them.

Just a head's up as far as this forum is concerned. You're not allowed to say "Beetlejuice" three times and you're not allowed to say the "L" word.

Forum Rules wrote:
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pay for ANYTHING! You were lied to by the manufacturer. The dealer most likely did not know either, they went by the sticker just like you. The new sticker they sent you is proof they knew!

Pete15
Explorer
Explorer

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
TxCowboy wrote:
If Heartland doesn't play nice with you on this issue, file a report with your state's AG under the lemon law.

This issue changes the basic capabilities of the RV. It is as if you'd purchased an eight cylinder truck, the VIN showed it as an 8-cylinder,only to find out later it is a six cylinder, and the manufacturer says "here, this new VIN tag makes it all better."

No, it does not.

x2
You did not get what you were supposed to get. Push harder!

TxCowboy
Explorer
Explorer
If Heartland doesn't play nice with you on this issue, file a report with your state's AG under the lemon law.

This issue changes the basic capabilities of the RV. It is as if you'd purchased an eight cylinder truck, the VIN showed it as an 8-cylinder,only to find out later it is a six cylinder, and the manufacturer says "here, this new VIN tag makes it all better."

No, it does not.