cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch recommendations

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Although we have our new 5th wheel, we haven't purchased a hitch as our 5th wheel was delivered for us by the dealer. We have a short bed truck and are looking for a reasonably priced hitch. This is all new to us as we have only owned pull behind trailers. Recommendations?
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
11 REPLIES 11

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest downside to the auto sliders is their weight (~250lbs). I was set on getting a SG but as of late based on several positive reviews decided to go with a B&W turnoverball with the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel at a whopping 45lbs. I know its not a replacement for a slider (close) but I really don't see myself getting into tight places where we a slider is a must have. Its also nice to know I'll never have to deal with bucking and chucking issues. And no, its not a GN so don't go there...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help! Pullrite Superglide it is. Definitely good to have peace of mind.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:
I tow with a similar truck as the OP (standard 6.5' bed truck) with a non-sliding B&W Companion hitch.

No issues in 2 years and 20K+ miles towing.

Needing a slider depends on your truck, hitch and trailer nose cap design.

I agree, I have towed way more than one decade with three short box trucks and 4 fifth wheels without a slider. I can tell right off the bat you need a slider for peace of mind. That is what is important.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a similar truck as the OP (standard 6.5' bed truck) with a non-sliding B&W Companion hitch.

No issues in 2 years and 20K+ miles towing.

Needing a slider depends on your truck, hitch and trailer nose cap design.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
davosfam wrote:
We figured we would need a slider. What is the difference between manual and auto sliders?

Manual means you have to get out of the truck and operate a lever or device of some type on the hitch itself in order to get it to slide.

Auto slide means it does it all by itself.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a short bed truck for around 10 years with two different 5ers. My first 5er had an extended pin box and I never used the slider. My current trailer does not have the same clearance, and I needed the slider every time I put the trailer away.

I started with a Reese Quick Slide manual slider. It was a royal PITA as I had to drop the landing gear, remove most of the pin weight, and then slide it back. Not the easiest process. I finally upgraded to a Superglide for the last two years with my old truck. They are expensive, but worth the money to never have to think about sliding the hitch again.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We figured we would need a slider. What is the difference between manual and auto sliders?

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I would also suggest that you get a MorRyde pin box. It will reduce 'chucking' to a minimum. I love mine. Around $500. morryde.com

Tim

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
davosfam wrote:
Although we have our new 5th wheel, we haven't purchased a hitch as our 5th wheel was delivered for us by the dealer. We have a short bed truck and are looking for a reasonably priced hitch. This is all new to us as we have only owned pull behind trailers. Recommendations?

I can heartily recommend the B&W Companion. They have a number of mounting options these days, as well as a slider. FWIW, my '02 D'max 4x4 CC will NOT hit my square-front FW going forward. ALL will hit going back, just some sooner than later. If you're 2wd, you may have a slightly smaller turning radius, but I don't know. You'll read about many people who sprung for a slider, then never used them, to the point that when they =did= need it, it was frozen up. B&W is also a great company to deal with, too. Personally, I chose to go with the B&W even before I knew what a great company they are, since I needed a gooseneck hitch and wanted a clean bed in addition to the FW hitch.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Pullright SG for several years. It's a great hitch, and now the maintaince is much easier. I just bought a long bed truck that was pre ready for a hitch. I shopped for Pullright non slide, and someone recommend the b&W hitch. Both work in Fords. I checked price and the B&W was several hundred cheaper. Got the hitch and love it. They also now have a auto slider. I have had manual sliders and really don't recommend. I would look at Pullright and B&W. Some will tell you that you don't need a slider. I thought that and had to buy a new rear window. Good luck. make sure it is what you want.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a hitch that matches the towing capacity of your truck and not a hitch to match the weight of your trailer. That way you can upgrade or tow anything that your truck can handle.

EDIT With a short bed truck, you'll definitely need a slider.