cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many miles do you get out of your good tires?

invstr55
Explorer
Explorer
We are changing our tires for the second time, first was to get rid of the junk tires it came with. We went from load range e to load range g and got rid of all the constant leaking tires and de-lamination. now they just wore out at about 15k, down to the wear bars. Just want to see if we are average or need to look at other issues, the wear is for the most part even a crossed the entire tire. Our TH is about 18500lbs with 3 axles.
2015 DRV Fullhouse
2015 Breakout
2015 Spyder Limited
2015 F350hd Dually
22 REPLIES 22

ReneeG wrote:
Strabo wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I too am part of the 4/5 year group.....

Same here, cross fingers one more trip this month to pismo.

Please treat me well Firestone!!!

Very funny. That's what we said too and bang!

YES,,, That statement is exactly what pushed me into the 4/5 year plan... 2 years ago I said to DW - we will wait till after this season to get tires , they are fine !! I ended up replacing 2 on the road..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

Very funny. That's what we said too and bang!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
My friend bought a new carriage 35 ft 3 slides with the towmaster tires, I said they are junk tires and he asked what do you think I should do buy new tires? YES !! He towed it to wash st. He towed it back to az and again back to wash st. Same for the next season. that was the total of his towing and it was sold. Tire blew going to the new owner and the fifth was empty. I told my wife that fifth will have a tire problem before it gets to az so I was guessing what happened.

chevman

Seems to me chevman, that he got quite a bit of use out of those tires that you suggested he changed.

Less than 9000 miles plus coming to az from the factory in Indiania.

I don't feel that is that many miles and no load to az. His fifth was alittle more weight using the dry weight on the brouchures We have G tires and he had the same size but E tires. Look at the weight of tires and some are very light. I hope you look into getting better tires.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
My friend bought a new carriage 35 ft 3 slides with the towmaster tires, I said they are junk tires and he asked what do you think I should do buy new tires? YES !! He towed it to wash st. He towed it back to az and again back to wash st. Same for the next season. that was the total of his towing and it was sold. Tire blew going to the new owner and the fifth was empty. I told my wife that fifth will have a tire problem before it gets to az so I was guessing what happened.

chevman

Seems to me chevman, that he got quite a bit of use out of those tires that you suggested he changed.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Agree it is 100% age related- have had trailer tires go well over 50k and had them die after just 10k miles in 4-5 years.

At four years everything gets changed regardless of miles.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

garry_owen
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
About 4 years.

same here. might get 5 years but seems they weather out, about the same time they wear out.

never checked mileage but most all are trips are under 300 miles round trip and may 6 or so a year

moab the farthest and thats every other year at 1000 or so r.t.

our 3 axle runs about 13000# full of water,gas gear and 2 quads so the tires don't have an easy life.
2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

rupp49er
Explorer
Explorer
My tires are closing in on 4 years old and might have 10k on them and I had a blowout yesterday. They have a ton of tread on them. Not a huge load, no water or fuel, only our Rhino in it. These tires have lasted longer than any of the others i have had, they are E rated, i have not heard of G rated before. Can you get those in a ST225/75/15? Even though these have been good I am tired of blowouts, this one tore up my trailer a bit...
2004 Fleetwood Gearbox 260 FS Toy Hauler,Party Animal interior, nice trailer horribly made by the crooks at Fleetwod, but its paid for and we love it, '99 Ford Super Duty, 7.3, 4" lift, almost broken in at 183K miles

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good thread to read. We have a fifth wheel, purchased brand new in 2010. We knew we had to schedule new tires end of this year, at least by our first trip next year as DOT of tires was 2010. We just had a blowout. We take anywhere from 4 - 5 trips a year, mostly short distance with one longer. Other than that, the 5W sits most of the time. Based on this thread, the tire failure was about expected on these original "china bomb" tires. Seems that with the way ours sits, we would be wise to have them professionally checked going into the 3rd year of use, otherwise continue as we have with maintaining recommended PSI and visual checks.

tgreening
Explorer
Explorer
This is year 5 on my factory China bombs. Been told from day one they'll explode any minute. So far not so much as a flat or seriously low tire. My TH is a tri-axle and generally weighs between 16.5K - 17.5k on the road. I'm guessing somewhere around 15-20k miles on them.

Center axle waz perfect, front and rear axles weee showing moderate shoulder wear from scrubbing. Mostly from getting in and out of my drive without leaving tracks in the yard across the street.

I bought one new tire and rotated in the spare. Center axle tires went up front, new and spare went on the rear, best of the rest went to center, and the best of the last went to spare, leaving a spare spare in the garage.

I would expect to get to double the mileage traveled so far, but the trailer is slated cor sale or trade at the end of this season.

China bombs done me good on the last two trailers I've had.
2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

invstr55
Explorer
Explorer
We travel almost weekly and some of the parks we use require sharp turns, most of the wear is on the front and rear tires and I am sure it is mostly lateral wear. I run the tires at max pressure and most of the wear is on the edges so again scrubbing is likely the cause. I did not rotate this set and will with the new ones. Thanks all for the feedback
2015 DRV Fullhouse
2015 Breakout
2015 Spyder Limited
2015 F350hd Dually

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
last 5er was 12k across 2 axles; we had the original 10 year old tires on it. ~30k miles on the tires and they were not even close to the wear bars when we traded

the TH is of similar weights to the OP; we have less then 10k miles on it now and the tires aren't showing any noticeable signs of wear

both of our 5er's have always been inside on concrete unless they are being used; helps a ton in regards to being checked and side walls rotted
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950