Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access the furnace - 2002 Cougar 279 EFS

WStringer2
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings folks,

Does anyone have any tips on accessing the furnace in this model 5th wheel? There doesn't appear to be outside or inside access, and I don't see any fasteners to loosen. I need to get this thing out to work on it, but I'm not sure how to proceed without disassembling the cabinet.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Outside view:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2r6imc6.jpg

Inside view:
http://i67.tinypic.com/vbzo6.jpg
4 REPLIES 4

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2005 Cardinal 29WBLX was similar. I bought a male gas line plug that screwed into the propane line, so the gas could be turned back on while I had the furnace out. I found that re-seating all the wire connections to the circuit card resolved my "start failure" issues. Also the sail switches are noted to cause start issues. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

WStringer2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Old-Biscuit and babun...I appreciate the info! As soon as the weather cooperates a bit I plan on tackling this project and will post back how it went.

babun
Explorer
Explorer
I believe your 2002 is the same as my 2008.
If so, it would be a lot easier getting the furnace out if you cut a slot in the face of cabinet to allow the gas fitting thru.
You need to cut a little of the outside wood back in a slot about
3 inches long. The cut would be in your last picture right where the big red wire has that black connector on it. Cut the wood just deep enuff that the cover still will hide the notch out cut.
This makes the out and in of the unit almost easy.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove intake/exhaust ports from exterior and disconnect propane and electrical connections

Pull the panel off end of furnace ....then remove the 2 screws in bottom edge and PULL the furnace back to remove

RV MFG didn't do you any favors as it will be tight/awkward ---good luck

Here are your photos

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31