cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to repaint fifth-wheel hitch plate?

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Some paint has come off of my hitch plate, leaving a few square inches of exposed metal. My dealer didn't know what kind of paint would hold up. Has anyone tried to repaint their hitch plate, what kind of paint did you use, and did it hold up (or not)?
17 REPLIES 17

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 model hitch and a 2001 alpenlite. Hitch, trailer entry steps and pin box get refreshed as needed. Rust is ugly. Easy to keep the items looking great.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
gparrow wrote:
So for those that got replacement stickers for your Reese hitches who did you contact at Cequent to get the them. I've tried a couple contact email addresses and can't get anyone to respond.

Just email customer service. That's what I did.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

gparrow
Explorer
Explorer
So for those that got replacement stickers for your Reese hitches who did you contact at Cequent to get the them. I've tried a couple contact email addresses and can't get anyone to respond.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
mountainsam wrote:
Hide it under a tonneau cover

X2 That's what I do!!!!
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Hide it under a tonneau cover
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Allworth wrote:
...Breathe in, Breathe out, Go camping.

And remember, it only rusts if you stop using it.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The face plate on my Reese has some rusty spots.

I asked myself how high I should place this on my to-do list.

Myself answered "Way down there at the Bottom."

Breathe in, Breathe out, Go camping.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Just throw some paint on it to slow rust. Any spray can. Any color. Won't make a bit of difference.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
It's a hitch. I keep it mechanically maintained then I don't care what it looks like or care what other people think. I have more important things to worry about like scratching my butt or if I should trust a fart after taco Tuesday.

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
I have a B&W. Haven't had to worry about the paint coming off yet.

True - and after 7 years use fairly heavy use, only the wheel itself is showing a slight amount of wear from road dirt being ground in by the trailer pin box/Teflon plate.

As far as repainting - 180-320 grit sandpaper to remove rust and feather the edges, a solvent to remove any grease then a HD paint like Krylon (best) or Rustoleum BBQ. Any of Rustoleum's other 'regular' paint isn't worth the price

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
I need to tear mine apart and clean the jaw areas out. Is this possible before painting?

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W. Havent had to worry about the paint coming off yet.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Iv'e been using Rustoleum HI-TEMP (BBQ) paint from HD; It seems to have a high percentage of solid and is tough. I've used this on the A-frame of my TTp It has help up well;

Last year I covered it with Rustoleum Anti-chip/textured paint; This seems to be really tough and has grit in the paint; So far - so good;

All come in aerosol; Obviously preparation is key to good adhesion
Gerry

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought the cheapest gloss black paint I could find. Cleaned up the hitch, lightly sanded it then painted it. I then contacted Cequent and requested new decals for the hitch. I did all this last month.
I also painted the edge of the jaws white. Much easier to see if they are latched.
Also if you use a nylon disk on the pin you shouldn't get but minimal paint coming off on the hitch plate.

This is the results.

B&W Patriot 16K hitch.