cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm In Deep DoDo

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, the maintenance man in the campground did some work on the water faucets in my site. When he completed the work he had left the water valve off. When I returned from my run to the market, the wife commented the water was off. I went outside and saw that the quarter turn valve was in the off position and turned it on. I went to the office to see what was going on. I was there a few minutes and my wife arrived saying there was water flowing out from under the trailer and coming up in the toilet. I ran back to the trailer, pulled the black water drain and went to figure out what had happened.

The maintenance man had installed an anti-siphon connector on the black tank flush hose and had left the spigot turned on! Water, black water, was flowing from under the fifth wheel from front to back. All the insulation is saturated. They could not find a mobile RV repair person to come out to look at it. A handy man was called and he removed the bolts holding the bottom sheet from the belly, I raised the front of the unit, and the water was drained onto the ground. I brought the unit home the next morning. Now they have a haz-mat problem to deal with and I have a saturated fifth wheel sitting in my pasture.

My question is, can this be salvaged or is mold and bacteria from this a great problem? What about damage to the flooring from water underneath? The manager of the park said their insurance company would contact me next week. Any advice from those who have bad their black tank overflow into the insulated belly of their RV.
57 REPLIES 57

sele
Explorer
Explorer
some lessons in life come the hard way we had an issue with city water plumbing.
sure we fixed it but know either she or I turn off the water and one of us turns the water back on when we get home.

Glad you are back on the road
scott

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
KCFDCapt wrote:
The black tank had split. They replaced the tank, valves and the connecting pipes. The insulation was replaced as well as the underbelly plastic corrugated material.

Sounds like actual damage was fairly minimal, just messy. Again, glad it wasn't too bad and the responsible people stepped up and did the right thing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
The black tank had split. They replaced the tank, valves and the connecting pipes. The insulation was replaced as well as the underbelly plastic corrugated material.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
KCFDCapt wrote:
Here is the final chapter of the story. My RV is home, loaded and ready to head out again.

Camping World took the 5er in for an estimate. The rep called the next day and sent a detailed estimate which I approved. The parts were ordered and a time frame was estimated. Of course the holidays were an interruption ans there was a delay because the black tank that was sent from the factory was broken upon arrival.

The repairs were completed, I picked up the RV and brought it home. I faxed the invoice to the RV park. A check was in the mil the following day and it is in the bank. A bright spot in all of this is we emptied the RV and took a hard look at all the "stuff" we had included in our "needs" before we reloaded. Lots of things were left out this time.

Glad it worked out so well for you, especially not having to hassle with the park. A CW repair? Eh... ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate knowing details of what-all was damaged and repaired.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm glad it turned out well for you and that you posted back with the outcome. Thank you.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the final chapter of the story. My RV is home, loaded and ready to head out again.

Camping World took the 5er in for an estimate. The rep called the next day and sent a detailed estimate which I approved. The parts were ordered and a time frame was estimated. Of course the holidays were an interruption ans there was a delay because the black tank that was sent from the factory was broken upon arrival.

The repairs were completed, I picked up the RV and brought it home. I faxed the invoice to the RV park. A check was in the mil the following day and it is in the bank. A bright spot in all of this is we emptied the RV and took a hard look at all the "stuff" we had included in our "needs" before we reloaded. Lots of things were left out this time.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
KCFDCapt wrote:
OK. Took it into Camping World yesterday. I had an appointment. They called today with an estimate. I went by and saw it. OK'd the repairs. Looks like we will be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

I will keep you posted when the repairs are completed.

Thank you for the update, to many start posts and never tell what finally happened! Good luck with the repairs!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please keep us posted on how it shakes out. Is your insurance paying, or the campground's? I'd be interested in knowing if the campground admitted they were in the wrong and paid for their mistake.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Took it into Camping World yesterday. I had an appointment. They called today with an estimate. I went by and saw it. OK'd the repairs. Looks like we will be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

I will keep you posted when the repairs are completed.

Rocksride
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I do with water. I could just see leaving for the day and a water fitting lets go and runs all day. I use a water meter for hoses and set for 15-30 min. At least if something happens it will be a smaller mess. It is hard to remember to shut off water every time u leave and this is my back up when I forget
Rock
Rock
2006 Dodge 3500 4x4
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS

rblake39
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic but this is why I'm on these forums and read everything. We just ordered our first rv. Now I have learned never to leave the black tank flush hose hooked up and why. Sorry about your problem. Hope all works out.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
scotjima wrote:
Almost this same thing happened to our friend's year old 5th wheel. I'm not sure what was physically damaged and what is being replaced, but it is currently at the dealer being repaired. They've had it several months and insurance is paying. The estimate was $4500.

This is starting to sound like a dropped fifth wheel thread , only worse . :R

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Almost this same thing happened to our friend's year old 5th wheel. I'm not sure what was physically damaged and what is being replaced, but it is currently at the dealer being repaired. They've had it several months and insurance is paying. The estimate was $4500.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mowin wrote:
Had the same thing happen in our CG two yrs ago. Maintenance worked on spigot. Swaped hoses when reinstalling. Camper was a two months old park model, and it was a total loss. CG had to replace the camper.

I'm sure it can be fixed, but like others have said. Making sure all the black waste is removed proved more costly than the TT was worth. At least in the case in our CG.

If this isn't enough for people to heed, then suffer the consequences. Its just not good practice to have that black hose hooked up. I'm surprised that people actually do leave that hose hooked up .

I understand who is at fault here in what happened , but so easily avoided no matter who does what. No black hose around, no problem, no thread with somebody wondering what to do now.