cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inside Tire Wear?

5thWheel_of__Fo
Explorer
Explorer
Need thoughts. Have owned a lightly used 2005 DRV Mobile Suites 5th wheel since 2012. Fabulous rig. Replaced original 7 yr old Goodyear GST's when purchased in 2012 with the same tires, that looked great by the way, and no problems with our new ones and very even wear. As a precaution (6 yrs later), we replaced them with same tires in 2018. About the same time, we also replaced the original Dexter Hub and Drum Assembly 7000 lb Nev-R-Lube Axles, Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies, and Dexter Shock Absorbers.

After 16 mos and ~ 10-15k miles, we have now discovered that ALL 4 of our Goodyear GST's have very significant wear on the inside of the tires. What????? Never a problem in 7 yrs?!?

Best I can figure, either:
1) hubs/drums were not properly installed,
2) hubs/drums were defective from factory, or
3) axles have failed or been damaged

Since we've owned this rig now for 7 yrs, I seriously doubt we've overloaded it weight-wise as nothing much has change since.

Appreciate any thoughts you all may have. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

cimac
Explorer
Explorer
I would expect that the new axles were not aligned. Had the same type of wear on my trailer and the axles had lost some of their camber (bow). You may not have had enough when the axles were installed. I had the axles realigned. They used a large air powered hydraulic jack to bend them.

As side note. My 2011 36' DRV MS came factory with 7000# axles and I agree that they are not heavy enough for the trailer.
2013 Ford F350 PS CrewCab 4wd Dually
2011 Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

Charles and Charlotte
Pet Crew: Guy 8 and Daisy 7. (All Rescues)
Rainbow Bridge: Bear 10, Raisins 11, Cookie 15, Bubba 11 , Oreo 16, Princess 13

HA HA . . that was the case when the cost of the upgrade came up ! ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
does it look something like this -

If so, My Goodyear G614's looked like that as well.. I went to Goodyear and inquired about the issue.. After some looking the manager came up with what they called "Shoulder Step" and deemed it normal for the tire.

He even showed me a picture on his computer that looked exactly like my tires.

I trust Goodyear, but did not trust that tire wear so I upgraded my stuff to 17.5 G114's and never looked back.

What that is is the width of the tread is too wide for the steel belts, so the outer portion of the tread is not as supported as the rest, so it wears faster. It is aggravated by frequent and hard cornering. Nothing to be concerned about except for the appearance. Ultimately it means that Goodyear's design engineers didn't do a great job in the design process.

Yes, They told me not to be concerned with mine....... I still upgraded to make Momma happy ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes I don't tell Momma about things.....ha ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
It's likely something has caused an out of alignment issue. I take mine to an axle shop every two years for an alignment check and adjustment if needed.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

CapriRacer wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

If so, My Goodyear G614's looked like that as well.. I went to Goodyear and inquired about the issue.. After some looking the manager came up with what they called "Shoulder Step" and deemed it normal for the tire.

I trust Goodyear, but did not trust that tire wear so I upgraded my stuff to 17.5 G114's and never looked back.

What that is is the width of the tread is too wide for the steel belts, so the outer portion of the tread is not as supported as the rest, so it wears faster. It is aggravated by frequent and hard cornering. Nothing to be concerned about except for the appearance. Ultimately it means that Goodyear's design engineers didn't do a great job in the design process.

Yes, They told me not to be concerned with mine....... I still upgraded to make Momma happy ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you looked at the tag on your axles? If it's a 36' DRV the axles should be 8K, even a 32' should be. They are simply HEAVY rigs!!! My 36' weighed well over 19k.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Had new dexter axles installed a couple of years ago while on a extended trip to Alberta, Canada. Long story about that but jumping ahead, when we got home my son noticed wear on the inside of the XPS Ribs I had on the axles. Had the wheels aligned at a shop here where we live. It's a process I watched and when the guy used a sledge hammer to more or less bend the axles while watching the electronic setup he had, I was kind of taken aback but apparently that's how it's done. New tires(XPS Ribs) have been installed this year in May because the old tires aged out but didn't wear out. Have done 3 trips this summer and no sign of wear. Next summer we will be heading out west again.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
mobile suites with 7K axles? interesting.

I'd get on the phone with dexter and talk. and then get an alignment.

If you are keeping the rig you might want to get with mor ryde and do their IS system...a quick $7K but disc brakes.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like the simplest answer is you didnโ€™t get the axles you paid for and they are overloaded or they are cambered axles and were installed upside down. Not much else could explain wear on all 4 tires.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73