cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing rv shocks

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to install some shocks on my rv this winter, hoping they help smooth out the ride as we have noticed since upgrading to the sailun tires it rides a bit rougher.

So my question is those who have done this, did it help? did you buy a kit? I see lippert has a kit which is about $125 per axle with shocks, has anybody used this one?
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shock-kit-for-3-inch-axle-tube/62535&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp62535&sc_intid=62535&affiliateid=6313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjf7gs4nk1wIVSbjACh0pAAsHEAQYBSABEgIJzPD_BwE
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside
25 REPLIES 25

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
after gathering some info and looking under my trailer ive decided to make my own brackets and mount the longest shocks as vertical that I can fit. Being a toyhauler It looks like I have plenty of room as there is nothing near my mounting points.

Thanks for all the info.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video from Big Truck Big RV who installed shocks on his camper.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed the Lippert kit on both axles about four years ago. It made a very noticeable improvement. Shortly after install drove down an old county road that was concrete with a light chip seal overlay. Bumpy, bumpy, could barely feel in the cab, and zero feedback from the 5er.

Due to clearance issues on the outboard side of the frame, mainly slide drive system, I mounted inboard.

This required moving both the galley drain line, and the gas line inboard about 3" to 4" both easly done.

Moved Drain line on drivers side.

Moved gas line on curb side inward about 3" to clear shocks tubes.

This is the moved gas line to clear the shock tubes.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I put Joy ride on mine. I liked the angles designed into the brackets. I welded the frame brackets not bolted like they show

x2
I had mine installed Nov of 2014. Just as stated in other posts, over all ride is noticeably improved, especially over expansion joints and washboard / uneven roads. The shocks installed with original brackets were at 13 1/2 inches. I understand the newer model brackets will be at 14 inches giving more travel to shock, ie, even smoother ride. Haven’t had any experience with other makes, but have been really satisfied with Joy Rider.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I had Disc brakes put on by Performance Trailer Braking
I put the Joy Rider RV Shocks on myself. Also put a Morryde X-Factor on for extra bracing I highly recommend all.
I run my "G" rated Goodyear's at 100psi.

2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
Those of you that have installed shocks, what kind of difference did you notice with the shock addition?

After shocks - large Monroe gas trailer spec units, the trailer ride is smoother and doesn't bounce around after hitting a pothole or pavement edge.

Before shocks -the trailer would bounce repeatedly after hitting a pothole or pavement edge.

Trailer spec shocks are designed/valve biased to control the rebound(the bounce).

Try Stengel Brothers for Monroe shocks at decent price. The Monroe trailer shock mounting kits are hard to find....
http://www.stengelbros.com/load-support-ride-handling/monroe-shocks/

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason the Sailuns should be riding rougher is if you are running at max pressure and your load does not require it. You need to weigh the trailer, find a load chart and adjust as needed.

I also installed Joy Riders and it made a huge difference in the bouncing (diving board effect) especially when I have 1 of our cars in the back of the toy hauler. Well worth the cost.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pcm1959 wrote:
Those of you that have installed shocks, what kind of difference did you notice with the shock addition?

As I wrote in my previous post, the shocks keep you from feeling the tug of the trailer when it hits expansion joints and other minor irregularities. This just makes for a less fatiguing drive. Much like having a better riding vehicle. Frankly I was surprised at this result as I had not expected it at all.
It's also nice when driving through a pot holed CG road because the trailer doesn't bounce and lean.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer

I made top brackets and bolted and bolted to the frame cause no welder.
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds almost like an un-balanced or out of round issue.
Art.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info I will check out the video on the joy rider install and yes I plan to weld whatever brackets as I don't like to drill holes in the frame.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s a video by BigTruckBigRV of a Joy Rider installation along with a Never Fail Bushing install. In a later video he installed the MorRyde SRE 4000 Suspension System along with the Wet Bolt Kit. In that video he mentioned that grease shouldn’t have been used on the Never Fail bushings.
The actual work in first video begins around the 13:00 minute mark.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
mine are at 105 there was not a lot of bouncing out of these new tires. I have about 5000 miles on them now still look new. I guess its the stiffer sidewall.