Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving camper setup and leveled

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone.

I utilize an RV storage lot 300 miles from my home during football season for tailgaiting. One of the cool things is that they allow me to camp there overnight on game weekends. I can leave my rig set up for the season, which is a huge advantage over towing it back and forth, obviously.

There are sometimes 2-3 weeks between games, and I'm not sure if it's OK to leave it leveled. I always pull the slides in and disconnect the batteries, and I'm wondering if I should also bring it back to hitch height as opposed to keeping it level.

What do you think?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
12 REPLIES 12

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our trailer has the ground control 3.0 auto leveling.

I keep it leveled all the time when it's in the storage facility. I don't have room to open the slides.

Power is disconnected to the leveling system with all the jacks down. I have added a switch to remove power to the jacks even with the batteries connected. With the jacks down and no easy way to raise then it makes the trailer a little harder to steal.

In the Lippert manual it says that the jacks can be left extended when in storage, they recommend spraying the exposed shafts with silicone to prevent corrosion.

Even after months with no power the system will auto retract and return to hitch height once power is restored.

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We keep ours in our RV garage slides out, level and power on 24/7, only pulling everything in when we head out to visit some spots.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you shut the RV DOWN while you are gone(no refer ON and no power to operate the refer), I would leave it at hitch height. It only takes a few minutes to level when you show up. I ALWAYS advise customers to leave slides IN on Motorhomes and towables when storing. IF there is a malfunction on the system, you can easily get it to a service facility. Your LCI system, IF it malfunctions, it would be best to have it already at hitch height, to make it easier to connect and then get it to a service center. It is easier to retract if at hitch height and malfunctions, rather than trying to get it first UP to hitch height and then connecting and then retracting to travel. Doug

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Your levelling system's purpose is to level your RV and stay that way for an undetermined amount of time. I'm not sure why it would be an issue. Make sure your jacks stay clean and it will be fine. Level is probably better than unlevel for storage.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

OverNightSensat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Lippert 3.0 system on mine and I always leave it leveled in storage.(even all winter)
2020 Chevrolet C/C 3500HD DRW Duramax
2021 Vengeance Rogue Armored 351 G2 Toy Hauler 45''
2021 Can Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

If a hammer can't fix it, you got yourself an electrical problem!

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I would leave it leveled until you're ready to move it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
You mention "bringing back to hitch height", makes me think you may be parked on a slope, rather than level ground.

If on a fairly steep slope, it may make things more study to lower it closer to hitch height, and take some load off suspension?

We really don't know why you are asking?

Jerry

That's because I wasn't very clear in my message.

I'm asking the question because I use the Lippert 3.0 leveling system, and I'm not sure if leaving it auto-leveled for a few weeks could cause problems, particularly with the battery disconnected. I don't know why it would, but you never know.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Flat roof, don’t leave it level.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You mention "bringing back to hitch height", makes me think you may be parked on a slope, rather than level ground.

If on a fairly steep slope, it may make things more study to lower it closer to hitch height, and take some load off suspension?

We really don't know why you are asking?

Jerry

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If your camper has a flat roof, I would not leave it level. A little tilt so water/snow would run off. If it has a curved roof leave it level.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’d leave it leveled. No benefit to doing otherwise.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seeing as how hitch height is supposed to be level I would say it doesn't matter.
Puma 30RKSS