cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Ceiling Lights

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Most people like the super bright blinding led lights in RV ceilings.
Even the ones inches above their head in the bedroom. Some people like to switch from incandescent to LED lighting.

I understand removing led lights and replacing with soft white incandescent is not as simple as unscrewing a light bulb like in a home.

I was told by one dealer, RV's led ceiling lights cannot be switched to incandescent. If I hate the super bright led lights in my 5th wheel especially in my bedroom can I change them (either some or all) to a much softer light.

If I can, how easy and at what cost per light fixture ?

No disrespect to fans of led technology but with all our livingroom lights turned on it seems brighter than the sun. OMG the brightness. lol

Cheers
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS
14 REPLIES 14

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
All of my ceiling fixtures have been fluorescent and I just strip out the fluorescent lites and ballast and put in the LED strips that I like. The biggest problem is shopping for LEDs because so few of the manufacturers give the full specifications and sometimes their light color description is not accurate.
I started using really high lumen LEDs with a high side dimmer so I can have bright light when I want it and dim them when I donโ€™t. I wasnโ€™t sure how well the dimmer would work but I am really happy with it. It merely dims and does not change the light color at all. The older I get the brighter the light is needed! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others regarding swapping incandescent lights in place of LEDs. You would need to carefully assess the wire size, fuse size, and heat resistance.

If you can find a make or model of the fixture you have it might help. LEDs come in a variety of colors and brightness ratings. However, finding something that would adapt to your existing fixture or be a drop in replacement may be more difficult. Dimmers are an option for some, but not all LED fixtures, but it may be difficult to install a dimmer or dimmers depending on how easy it is to access your wiring. You might be able to install dimmers at the wall switch location depending on how many fixtures you have on a switch and what type of switches you have.

In our travel trailer, I moved the over the bed reading lights down below the bedside cabinets and replaced them with different fixtures and dimmers, but these would look quite out of place in the middle of the ceiling.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Check carefully as incandescents take 6x+ the power (hence heat) of LEDs. Could also be a wire size issue.

This. An LED fixture is not designed for the high temps & heat output of incandescent lamps. Just get new lamps with a warmer color temperature.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check carefully as incandescents take 6x+ the power (hence heat) of LEDs. Could also be a wire size issue.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
For a fire safe temp fix you could poke some holes in aluminum foil. Then try to crimp it around the lens. Might hold itself in place.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many varities of 12V LED lights that include base type, brightness and color. Google, Amazon, etc. I just replaced a warm 12 led puck with a bright 10 led puck as I didn't have a spare warm one in the RV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
nhshep wrote:
Could not attach picture.
Maybe others can chime in on an easier way.

On this site i take a cell phone pic and send to my email. Download to my computer and then upload to this site below.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check with a shop that does car-audio installations. They frequently install various LED setups to go with the MUCH too loud sound.

LEDS not only come in various light output levels, but also in warm-white or cool-white versions Warm-white is more toward yellow and cool-white is toward blue.

Be aware that LEDs are always DC and are very polarity sensitive.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Could not attach picture. Lens screws off. Fitting attach by 3 screws.
Puck has 12 gold color squares. Number on fixture 64110304 if this helps.
I would not go dryer fabric method or any fire risk. Probably looking at less lumen light. YouTube video showed how to replace. Or if lens sold as filter of sorts.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way would be something on the lens.
Dimmers are nice if compatible.

Think you could pop the lens off and post a picture?
If you decide to replace the bulb youre gonna want something in the 2700-3500k range. Still might be super bright though and require a diffuser on the lens. If you post a picture of the light switch i might be able to tell you if a dimmer will work. I got a ton of LEDs and dimmers all over my trailer.

The dryer sheet idea sounds interesting. I supposed its designed to be in hot environments. The actual LED itself can get pretty hot.

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, led advantages over incandescent, last longer, less heat generated, energy efficient. These LEDs are factory installed 2018. Maybe I can try some of the ideas mentioned and see if lower lumen or softer is available.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends on what type of LED you have, some just have an LED placed in the incandescent socket. So just remove the LED lamp and insert and old style lamp. But if these are installed by the manufacturer then you'll have to swap out the fixtures. Search Amazon for "RV Ceiling Lights" or go by your local RV dealer's parts center they always have lots of light fixtures. I'd say minimum of $20-25 per fixture, you install. Lots more to get them installed.

LEDs do put out a fair amount of heat, just not as much as the old style lamps.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or get bulbs with a lower lumen rating.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
a simple item that may help is a dryer sheet, laid inside the outer covering of the light.
Try different things to achieve the light level you want. One advantage to the led lights is that they give off almost no heat.
You could even spray a coating on the lens.