cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling without disconnecting

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small 5th wheel that tows with the front too high for us to park and sleep in the camper without unhooking and leveling. In most cases that is fine, but if we want to overnight at a Walmart or other such place we are really in uncomfortable unhooking from the tow vehicle. I was thinking of some sort of small ramps that I could put under the wheels and pull up on them to raise the rear of the camper. Ideally I would always park on a slope, but usually don't have that option. Can anyone recommend some small inexpensive ramps that could raise the camper 8 inches, and will last more than a couple of uses?
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
19 REPLIES 19

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice. We went ahead and had the axle flipped, gaining about 5 and 1/2 inches, which seems to have us pretty close to level, so my initial SWAG guess was a little off. Got the wheels repacked and had the brakes checked while we were there, for a total of $410. Really appreciate everyone's input.
Gary in Michigan

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
Can the truck be lowered? Maybe a combination of raising the trailer and lowering the truck.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
GaryS1953 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
5th. wheel--- Reverse the springs on the trailer axles.

Wow, I had no idea such a thing was even possible. I Googled a couple of articles and Youtube videos's, realized it was well beyond my capabilities, and figured it was also outside of my price range, especially considering the age of the 5th wheel. Then I made a phone call to a local hitch place that has worked on my brakes before, and installed the 5th wheel hitch from my old truck to my new one. They knew EXACTLY what I was talking about and suggested it would only cost between $250 and $350!! That should give me around 5", which is not enough, but a lot better. I will be taking it in to them in the next couple of days to let them have a look. Maybe they'll have some other ideas to give me a little more height.

Thanks everyone so much for all the great info.

Just an additional thought, I would check with your RV shop who installed your hitch to make sure you have the right hitch for your truck and trailer. For safety reasons and driving control the trailer should be level when hitched up.

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
djgarcia wrote:

Wow, I had no idea such a thing was even possible. I Googled a couple of articles and Youtube videos's, realized it was well beyond my capabilities, and figured it was also outside of my price range, especially considering the age of the 5th wheel. Then I made a phone call to a local hitch place that has worked on my brakes before, and installed the 5th wheel hitch from my old truck to my new one. They knew EXACTLY what I was talking about and suggested it would only cost between $250 and $350!! That should give me around 5", which is not enough, but a lot better. I will be taking it in to them in the next couple of days to let them have a look. Maybe they'll have some other ideas to give me a little more height.

Thanks everyone so much for all the great info.
Gary in Michigan

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GaryS1953 wrote:
We have a small 5th wheel that tows with the front too high for us to park and sleep in the camper without unhooking and leveling. In most cases that is fine, but if we want to overnight at a Walmart or other such place we are really in uncomfortable unhooking from the tow vehicle. I was thinking of some sort of small ramps that I could put under the wheels and pull up on them to raise the rear of the camper. Ideally I would always park on a slope, but usually don't have that option. Can anyone recommend some small inexpensive ramps that could raise the camper 8 inches, and will last more than a couple of uses?

8 INCHES!? You need to address the unlevel towing, big time. Not only does it produce extra stress on the suspension and tires, if you run with the fridge on, you risk of destroying the cooling system. Also, if you have < 6" clearance over the truck bed, you run the risk of hitting the rear bed corners.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Old school. A couple of 2x8s.
A couple? He's going to need more than 4 on each side to raise it 8 inches.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Old school. A couple of 2x8s.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Level towing is very important. Not only will it be more stable while towing, but you're transferring more weight to the trailing axle. A potential for overloading/overheating the tires! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Getting the trailer level is the best solution. But if that is not doable, you might consider the Andersen levelers.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
djgarcia wrote:

Exactly.......
Instead of 'band-aid fixes' get the 5th wheel level when towing

Nose high (enough that YOU are uncomfortable when using bed) is not a good situation.
Lighter pin weight, rear tires/axle/suspension stresses.

Do what is necessary to level the 5th wheel when towing

An axle flip....change leaf springs form under axles to on top of axles IF they are not already on top

If leaf springs are already on top of axles then do a subframe light

Goggle both to fully understand

But towing NOSE HIGH is not proper and needs to be corrected.

X3 or so!
There nothing good about towing nose high!

Make it level you will enjoy the tow a lot more!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
in the meantime, VeeBee has the answer. No biggie.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
djgarcia wrote:

Exactly.......
Instead of 'band-aid fixes' get the 5th wheel level when towing

Nose high (enough that YOU are uncomfortable when using bed) is not a good situation.
Lighter pin weight, rear tires/axle/suspension stresses.

Do what is necessary to level the 5th wheel when towing

An axle flip....change leaf springs form under axles to on top of axles IF they are not already on top

If leaf springs are already on top of axles then do a subframe light

Goggle both to fully understand

But towing NOSE HIGH is not proper and needs to be corrected.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody is going to give you a ticket for unhooking to get comphy at Walmart. Just unhook, pull the truck forward a little so that nobody tries to take you for a ride in the middle of the night.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995