cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like to hear from users of the Automated Safety Hitch

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am interested in hearing from people who are actually using an Automated Safety Hitch. What tow vehicle and what trailer, pros/cons etc.

Thanks.

To the non-users:

- DOT has confirmed no it is not a double tow/another trailer where I tow. It's ok.
- I have driven "A, B, & C" commercial truck combinations up to 140,000lbs GCWR.
- yes I know what it costs.
26 REPLIES 26

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
I would guess the factory receiver would be subject to 1/3 of the trailer weight in a 3 point connection system?

If it were a 3-point connection system with weight bearing properties, you would be correct. However, the other 2 connection points of this system aren't built to handle any loads other than the lateral forces exerted in a turn.

I'll further note that my understanding the design of this system is based purely on the information given on their website. If the other connection points are meant for load bearing, I don't see any mention of it on the site.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would guess the factory receiver would be subject to 1/3 of the trailer weight in a 3 point connection system?

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:

Go to their website and see how it works before asking questions. It doesn't use the factory bumper pull hitch.

When I say "bumper-pull", it is surely understood that I'm referring to the Class IV or V receiver hitch...not the actual bumper. Their website uses the same lingo.

Nonetheless, I visited the website and quickly confirmed what I was speculating. The "old" hitch is removed, and the new hitch provided by the manufacturer is installed. They clearly state that their hitch is a Class V, which has a weight limit of 12,000 or 12,500 pounds (depending on who's literature you read), unless you use weight distribution measures. The receivers on the side of the new hitch are merely for the control of the automated steering feature. They do not have any weight carrying or distribution function.

Using an example from the Ford 2015 Towing Guide:
F-250/350, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L PSD w/ 3.55 axle ratio - MAX TOW = 14,000 LBS*
* = ONLY WHEN USING WEIGHT DIST HITCH
You are otherwise limited to the actual rating of the hitch (12,000 LBS)
This represents conventional "bumper" tow ratings, which is what you're doing when using the Automated Safety Hitch. And though I couldn't find any info on their website about the weight of the device, I'm sure its no less than 750 to 1000 LBS by itself. The result is that many 5'ers (or cattle trailers) will exceed the weight rating of the vehicle and its equipment.

A comparable RAM truck is not significantly different in the ratings for conventional towing.

Again, not bashing the product, but I think you have to consider more than just the parameters of the device itself. If you fall within the specs of your vehicle and equipment, then knock yourself out. FWIW, I do find it to be a really neat product.

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
Last time I saw a thread involving this hitch, I asked the following question (paraphrasing):

When using this, are you not potentially exceeding the max allowable tow weight of the bumper-pull hitch? How about the max allowable truck rating from that tow point?

Pin weight/tongue weight is not the concern here, but rather the overall towing weight. I think that most bumper-pull hitches max out somewhere around 12,500 pounds. The towing guides (specific to your vehicle) will also say something like: "tow weights exceeding XXXXXX must be towed from gooseneck/5th wheel..."

No product bashing here...haven't even read much of their literature...
But this is really the main question I have.

Go to their website and see how it works before asking questions. It doesn't use the factory bumper pull hitch.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I saw a thread involving this hitch, I asked the following question (paraphrasing):

When using this, are you not potentially exceeding the max allowable tow weight of the bumper-pull hitch? How about the max allowable truck rating from that tow point?

Pin weight/tongue weight is not the concern here, but rather the overall towing weight. I think that most bumper-pull hitches max out somewhere around 12,500 pounds. The towing guides (specific to your vehicle) will also say something like: "tow weights exceeding XXXXXX must be towed from gooseneck/5th wheel..."

No product bashing here...haven't even read much of their literature...
But this is really the main question I have.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
I did not know what it was and had to google it. At first glance it looks like a good idea but the added length worries me. I had to make a few tight turns with my truck that I never could have made if the truck RV length was a few feet longer. There was a street near Gettysburg that I almost did not have enough room to clear, and there were a few campgrounds that would have been difficult to impossible to make.

I often leave my RV connected to my truck in campgrounds but the extra few feet would have probably blocked traffic.

Not an owner, but do check the videos on the Automated Safety Hitch web-site. The tires do turn as you turn, and the one video showed backing into a limited space.

So appears with the ability to steer the tires on the hitch, it will reduce or at least not add to a turning radius.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the feedback. The setup I'm thinking about is like the truck in Lyle's pictures above, except a flat bed for more versatility. Couple or three bikes, or tanks and bikes, or camper and toyhauler etc. Side loading capable. Rack above for paddle craft or tinny boat. That sort of thing.

I like the way these fixed to frame style dollies turn the rear of the truck into a 6ft spread tandem when the steering feature is locked - lots of wheelbase stability.

These are not to be confused with an "A" converter dolly that turns the semi trailer into a wagon. The connection does not pivot at the rear of the truck like a trailer hitch. The "5th wheel" trailer is still a semi-trailer.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
06Fargo wrote:
I am interested in hearing from people who are actually using an Automated Safety Hitch. What tow vehicle and what trailer, pros/cons etc.

Thanks.

To the non-users:

- DOT has confirmed no it is not a double tow/another trailer where I tow. It's ok.
- I have driven "A, B, & C" commercial truck combinations up to 140,000lbs GCWR.
- yes I know what it costs.

Here's one I saw at Camp Verde several years ago. I believe this was a 2500 series, but can't remember for sure. He also had a fresh water and aux fuel tank in the bed, under the cover. About 60 gallons each.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reese made one years ago and it never caught on! The one we saw, the guy had two quads sidesaddle on a flat bed F350 Ford and a large 5th wheel. He liked it!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting question, looked at your profile, and think I see where you are going with the question.

2006 Dodge 3500
2005 Snowbird Offroad camper
2007 Carriage C-Force 39SV toyhauler

Just assuming the 2005 Snowbird is a slide in Camper, you would like to carry them both.
It just might work if that is the plan, good luck finding "good" feed back.
It seems when there were postings about these before, there were a couple posters that stated having experience with them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use one but met someone who was using it last spring, he had a Western Star semi with a jeep & a golf cart on the truck with his 5th wheel using this hitch, was quite the site. He said he is 73' long and had no issues with the length and also said it maneuvered just fine and he really liked it, he was in a pull thru site so I did not get to see how well he could do with it. I was impressed with the set up but not sure I would like the cost involved to purchase one. Good luck with this if you end up with one and report back on how it is.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know what it was and had to google it. At first glance it looks like a good idea but the added length worries me. I had to make a few tight turns with my truck that I never could have made if the truck RV length was a few feet longer. There was a street near Gettysburg that I almost did not have enough room to clear, and there were a few campgrounds that would have been difficult to impossible to make.

I often leave my RV connected to my truck in campgrounds but the extra few feet would have probably blocked traffic.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.