cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locks for the Ramp

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what people use to lock their ramps. Right now we just have traditional masterlock locks but those seem easy to cut/break.

I was considering either one of these types and would appreciate any input/thoughts.

1) http://www.amazon.com/Blaylock-DL-80-Cargo-Trailer-Door/dp/B00HL5AHDM/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403638575&sr=1-6

or

2)http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-THP3XL-Internal-Shackle-Trailer/dp/B002IV4ZW8/ref=pd_sim_auto_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=03G87EMPS8168F6DS1WH

The second one is cheaper but there seems to be rust issues.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thank you.
2012 GMC 3500HD, Diesel, Crew Cab Standard Bed, SRW
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4
25 REPLIES 25

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
sptrucksbyed wrote:
I just use normal Master locks on mine. As much as I hate to say it the only thing any lock does is keep the honest people honest. Is someone realy wants your stuff they WILL get it.

x2 Cheap Master Locks & don't worry about it.

sptrucksbyed
Explorer
Explorer
I just use normal Master locks on mine. As much as I hate to say it the only thing any lock does is keep the honest people honest. Is someone realy wants your stuff they WILL get it.
2012 Ford F-350 DRW CC 4x4
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2 Yamaha Raptors
2 Yamaha Banshees
2011 RZRS
2011 RZR XP900

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
porkchop1221 wrote:
Stupid question. This style:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Hidden-Shackle-6271NKA-3/dp/B0023TV0LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403873361&sr=1-2&keywords=master+lock+bump+proof

You have another lock behind it?

WOW! those must be made of gold!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Stupid question. This style:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Hidden-Shackle-6271NKA-3/dp/B0023TV0LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1403873361&sr=1-2&keywords=master+lock+bump+proof

You have another lock behind it?
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a pair of bolt cutters in my truck and a few spare locks with a chain.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

porkchop1221
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

We do keep it at a secure lot when we aren't using it (storage lot). But there are times when we need to leave out and just want to deter people slightly more.

I appreciate all the comments!

-I

PS do you ALSO lock your bikes up in the back? I did that once and my lock broke - the key just continued to spin. We had to call security at the track and they brought a cutter and was able to get through it in 5 minutes or less. So we haven't been doing that anymore.

Bedlam wrote:
These hidden shackle locks start at $20 verses the disc locks at about $10. $40-50 for a pair is not that much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hidden+shackle+padlock&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla%3Cimg%...

At certain point, I will avoid risk by storing or parking somewhere safer rather than try to save a few dollars to keep it somewhere risky. If the thieves are that determined, more than property may be at risk.
2013 Cyclone 3010

Toys:
Ducati 749R
Aprilia RSV4

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
I saw some pictures of a gun safe cut open with a cordless saw kinda of a Eye opener! They just cut the corner off did not touch the heavey locks and locking bolts that ran the length of the door
Gary

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Yellermanx wrote:
I use disc locks. This style.

I have the same lock on my storage garage for three years. It's supposed to be a pretty good theft deterrent because it's so tough. Try to put a say on it and it slips around. I live in MA and if I lost the keys I'd have to wait for the guy from RI to come and unlock it somehow or break it with a special tool that he has available.
Ray

Bedlam
These hidden shackle locks start at $20 verses the disc locks at about $10. $40-50 for a pair is not that much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hidden+shackle+padlock&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla%3Cimg%...

At certain point, I will avoid risk by storing or parking somewhere safer rather than try to save a few dollars to keep it somewhere risky. If the thieves are that determined, more than property may be at risk.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Nothing is impenetrable - The idea is to make it more work or time than an easier target nearby. The thief wants to be in and out as quickly as possible with the least amount of noise. Anything you can do increase exposure time and noise to get in will be a deterrent.
Absolutely, but what I'm saying is that if they're ready to cut a padlock off to get in, and have the equipment to do so and you have an expensive, hard-to-cut lock on there they'll just cut the handle instead of messing with the lock. Locks are a good idea, I just don't see a lot of sense in spending big bucks on one when it's so easy to bypass the lock and cut the handle.

Anyone seriously wanting to keep someone out of the ramp door would probably be better served with a couple locks on the inside like Dirtclods suggested.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
So you can slow them down a little with a lock on the inside of your rig.

This is what I have been thinking about for some time how, just to replace my out side locks with a couple of heavy duty barrel blots on the inside of the ramp.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
use cheap combination locks so don't have to worry about where's the key. Everyone knows my combo. so anyone can get in the trailer in an emergency. If I were to leave it somewhere vulnerable I suppose I'd get something better.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
I just park my p/up on them and they wont go anywhere.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

Bedlam
Nothing is impenetrable - The idea is to make it more work or time than an easier target nearby. The thief wants to be in and out as quickly as possible with the least amount of noise. Anything you can do increase exposure time and noise to get in will be a deterrent.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD