cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Louvered tailgates

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you have the louvered tailgate on your truck?
I found one for $150 on Craigslist, and am wondering if its worth it, or just stay with my stock tailgate?
24 REPLIES 24

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
jalichty wrote:
When I put ours on the first time, I told the tech that it wasn't if I "might" hit the tailgate, but when so why set yourself up for disaster. Don't have much in the back of short-bed truck so no real need to have a locking tailgate, but the one I currently have does have a lock, however, I don't remember where I put the keys when I bought it a little over six years ago.

My Custom Flow takes the same key as the typical storage compartments on campers. Which means not very secure, but at least you have one less key to keep around.

Someone above mentioned the insert that Custom Flow sells to close off the Vee. I have one. Used it recently when I had to park at the airport and was too lazy to put my OEM tailgate back on. Works okay. Looks pretty good too.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
When I put ours on the first time, I told the tech that it wasn't if I "might" hit the tailgate, but when so why set yourself up for disaster. Don't have much in the back of short-bed truck so no real need to have a locking tailgate, but the one I currently have does have a lock, however, I don't remember where I put the keys when I bought it a little over six years ago.
John A. Lichty

fulltime5er
Explorer
Explorer
My new one had the option of a rear camera mount, which I got. I have all the function of the OEM tailgate.
2013 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long bed, DRW, 6.7 Diesel, 3.73,
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
B&W Companion hitch (puck type)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
I like to lock my bed - can't do that with cut down louvered tailgate.

Custom Flow makes a drop in panel that locks and the TG locks.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
I liked my plastic one till I hit it with the pin. glad we kept the OEM.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
I sure like mine.

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I like our louvered tailgate just for the reason I don't have to raise or lower it when hooking up. If I am not going to use the 5ver for a month or so I pull the B&W Companion off and install our Camper Shell and just leave the Louvered Tailgate on, looks funny but it works just fine.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
I really like not having to deal with the stock tailgate every time I hitch or unhitch!

same here.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I have one that I put on my new truck. If I forget to put it down or up it costs a lot less than my OEM would. I had a friend have his tailgate stolen years back and it cost him around $800 for a straight tailgate out of a wrecking yard. Then he had to get it painted.

Yes my truck had the backup camera so I lost that function but I also have a cargo camera and it works almost as well as the tailgate camera. I do have to turn it on on my screen to make it work.

Mine is a Handy metal louvered one and looks good on the truck.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
SH wrote:
I really like not having to deal with the stock tailgate every time I hitch or unhitch!

X2 It makes hooking up much easier, IMO. And I still use my roll up tonneau cover and important gear fits in the tool box.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would not travel without mine.

However, if we are going to be home for an extended period (say six weeks or more) I put the factory tailgate back on so I can lock up the bed with my Pace-Edwards retractable cover.

I also leave the hitch hanging on the pin during such stays.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

SH
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Back up camera in my tail gate, which I would lose if I changed. Big advantage, you do not have to drop and pick up when hitching and un hitching! Any increase in mileage would be minimal.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like to lock my bed - can't do that with cut down louvered tailgate.