cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main AC Froze up last night-what to do now?

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 fifth wheel with two AC units. Our 2005 had only one and I never froze it up in 10 years use. On the thermostat I press the inside temp for Zone 1 (main) and it says 32 degrees F. If I run it I think the compressor is not cycling on because it is not blowing cold air. We are running on the smaller bedroom AC and it is doing its best.

Besides turning off the main AC and hope it defrosts, anything else I can do till it melts?

Is there a trick to make two AC's play good together? Any advice from your experiences will be appreciated.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
9 REPLIES 9

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my last trailer the cooling coil had a temperature sensor in the coil. The reason for this is that when it sensed coil getting too cold, it shut down the compressor so it would not freeze up. If you take off cover you should see a probe inserted into the coil. Sensor could be bad, or just come out of coil.
Dr Quick

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What was the temp outside last night when it froze up? IF like in the NC mountains it gets down in the 50s. The AC can freeze.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Also when hot outside run the fan on High or Auto when running the A/C. Do not run the fan on low when it is hot it will ice up, at least in Louisiana that is.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freeze up is generally caused by low air flow. Run the fan on HIGH only and check that the inlet side and outlet side are properly sealed. Bypass air will cause a freeze up.

Also check to see that the freezestat or sensor is properly attached or inserted into the coil fins.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
yep, i agree with the above. just try running the fan only and it will help. then try keeping fan on hi during running time so the fan runs continuously and the compressor will cycle on and off as needed for temp control Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Icing in our unit was caused by poor sealing between the unit and the duct allowing cold air back into the unit. About 20 to 30 minutes with some foil duct sealing tape solved the issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the unit off and set it the thermostat so only the fan runs, this will defrost the unit, may take 30-60 minutes. Make sure you set the thermostat fan to auto before turning the unit back on. Make sure your filter is clean and that there are no instructions blocking air flow.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

DaYooper
Explorer
Explorer
Not certain what brand AC you have and can't recall what I have on mine but believe it is a Coleman.

We had a similar freeze up issue with our AC in a new 2014, upon returning it to the dealer for some repairs they found some type of plug that wasn't in place. What this plug looks like or its location is a mystery to me, but I think it was allowing the cold air to recirculate in the unit, causing it to freeze every time I used it. Since the plug was put back in place it has worked great.
Steve
SE Michigan
IAFF #2289
2014 Shasta Phoenix 32RE 5er
Husky 16K W Hitch
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD QC
4x4, Auto, 3.73

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If it has a heat pump function run that for a few minutes and it will defrost quickly. You don't have to get the room temps uncomfortable.

If the temps are extremely hot then put the fan portion of the AC on manually to low or high. It will help keep the thing from freezing up.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008