cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Lifespan of A/C Units?

riflegunbuilder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 OpenRange 367 no warranty problems at all first year. In May of this year main A/C unit died. 15.6k Dometic with heat pump. Around the 4th of July the bedroom A/C 13k Dometic started acting up off and on. Got camper back yesterday with new bedroom A/C.

Open Range bent over backwards getting these replaced. Just wondering is this normal lifespan of A/C units, just a fluke,or what is the normal lifespan?
18 REPLIES 18

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlarocca95 wrote:
My rig's in the shop right now for A/C problems. The air feels cold blowing out the vent but the thing isn't cooling. We live in Arkansas with typically hot humid summers and the first year we had it the unit worked great. 2nd Summer it has been more mild than usual and we can't seem to keep the rig cooled. I took it to the shop before my trip to Destin and they said that a divider plate was blocking part of the duct and they taped it in place and it ran fine. Down in Destin it was 85 degrees most days and even running all night the unit wouldn't cool us down to 70 degrees inside. I've always been told a properly sized unit will maintain a maximum of 22 degree difference between the outside and inside temp so at 90 degrees I should be able to maintain 68 inside.
You were told wrong see GOPACKGO.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the rule is that the cold air coming out of the AC unit should be 15-20 degrees colder AS MEASURED AT THE CLOSEST OUTPUT POINT TO THE MAIN UNIT (if ducted) of the AC unit compared to the current temp INSIDE the RV.

* Measured with the same thermometer.

I don't think the temperature outside of the RV enters into the equation.

jlarocca95 - How long is your 5th wheel ? If camping in the south, the bigger ones need 2 AC units to cool them adequately. I'm not saying you're wrong about your AC unit problem, just trying to help. I have a 35 ft 5th wheel with 2 AC units because I originally started out using it in Florida and other southern states. Glad I ordered it that way. No way could one unit cool it down.

Tim

jlarocca95
Explorer
Explorer
My rig's in the shop right now for A/C problems. The air feels cold blowing out the vent but the thing isn't cooling. We live in Arkansas with typically hot humid summers and the first year we had it the unit worked great. 2nd Summer it has been more mild than usual and we can't seem to keep the rig cooled. I took it to the shop before my trip to Destin and they said that a divider plate was blocking part of the duct and they taped it in place and it ran fine. Down in Destin it was 85 degrees most days and even running all night the unit wouldn't cool us down to 70 degrees inside. I've always been told a properly sized unit will maintain a maximum of 22 degree difference between the outside and inside temp so at 90 degrees I should be able to maintain 68 inside.

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
34 years with no major problems. Did have to clean and lube the shaft from the motor to the compressor 3 years ago. It didn't want to start, but after a half hours of cleaning and lubing it has been working fine.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is going on 10 years no problems. However we have found if we need AC we're in the wrong place 🙂
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
The motor went out on ours at 10 year,2 months.
I am probably to blame,as it has been run on less than that 108 volts.
Lesson learned.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Dometic 15k AC unit replaced on my one year old fiver in June. Freon leak. It had a 'Made in China' sticker on it. Any more questions ?

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:

Running AC on low current is one method that results in premature death - always good to keep an eye on voltage when running your air conditioner.
We just had a hard start capacitor burn out due to low voltage in a state campground. It happened on a weekend when the campground filled up with campers, all running AC. Less than $40 including shipping has the 16 year old AC running again.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
As IVYLOG and SAUDIA MAN said low voltage will do in a A/C unit.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that newer isn't necesssarily better when it comes to AC and Refrigerators. Both of those on my 18 year old fiver are still working. (fingers crossed) It seems like the old adage about lost arts is holding true.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2 Carrier AC's on my 5er that are 8 yrs old and never had an issue..Carrier doesn't make these AC's for 5er's anymore, so if something does go wrong and I can't find parts, may need to go to a different manufacturer.

But to OP, no it's not normal for AC's to last no longer than your's did.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
we've had to replace both the bedroom 15K Penguin and the living area 15K Dometic AC's on our '06 SunnyBrook .... from what I've seen, the lifespan of a RV AC/Heat Pump can vary widely .... when used at the beach (salt air) can take one out in 3 +/- years .... use under other conditions can result in a much longer life

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here, AC on all our RVs have worked well until we sold them. Current rig has 7 years of heavy use, but we constantly monitor AC voltage drop which can severely limit the lifespan of an AC unit. I would think it uncommon that both AC units would have the same fate this early on and within months of each other.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start monitoring your AC voltage. Running them at less than 108 V will shorten their life. Mine are at 10 years and see no reason why they will not go another 10. I recently had a fan that was dragging but was able to raise one motor mount so it now turns freely.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...