cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions needed regarding this floorplan

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I would love to have some feedback on this floorplan. What, problems or potential issues do you see with this floorplan...if any?

http://www.tomraper.com/rv/coachmen/fifthwheel/8518/Coachmen__

Thanks in advance for your help!
31 REPLIES 31

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a fan of rear entry's, but the tv location is better than the ones that you have to look through the kitchen to see it.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I can add is entering the RV from outside, you enter directly on to carpet. You will need to keep an area rug there so the carpet will hold up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Well...with all the help from you guys...we have decided to rule this one out in terms of ergonomics.

Thank you very much, everyone!

hmar1
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy checkout the 2014 Keystone Montana 3900FB has 1 and 1/2baths and 1/2 bath can be accessed without opening slides

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the floor plan before commenting. Is it rear entry or mid??? One person talked about the slide on the curb side next to the door????

Just what are you looking at???

You can either click on the link on my opening post or look at the post by Golden_HVAC at 10:34. The person was kind enough to put an image of the floorplan on the thread for me! Thank you, Golden! : )

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
janegowest wrote:
Hello! I would love to have some feedback on this floorplan. What, problems or potential issues do you see with this floorplan...if any?

Nice looking layout.

I wonder if the outside picture is what the RV looks like, or the floorplan shown. The entrance on this "Floorplan" is rear entry, while the picture is mid-entry RV.

Rear doors are great until you have to park in a campsite that is sloping downhill towards the back, and you un-hitch then lower the hitch side to near the ground. Your door will go up in that case, and you might have 12 - 18" before the lowest step from the ground.

Mid entry is much less likely to have a problem getting to the steps from the ground. Or if you are parking in nearly level private campgrounds, you will be fine either way. It is the more scenic state and federal campgrounds that many times are not level. Seems like the best views are in the most out of level sites too, that seem to be the last site available on Friday nights.

Fred.

Thank you! Great points! I noticed, too, after I started this thread, that the photo of the outside is NOT this model at all!! The floorplan is, but I have not been able to find a pic of the outside, showing the rear-entry door!

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still trying to figure out the floor plan before commenting. Is it rear entry or mid??? One person talked about the slide on the curb side next to the door????

Just what are you looking at???
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
janegowest wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
We had a 285RLX2 Durango with the rear door. We won't own another rear door fifth wheel. You cant backup very far in a site or you steps are in the mud or way past the slab. If you have to lower the front for leveling your steps get high in the air. When traveling in the rain the steps get covered in road dirt. I do like the floorplan other than the door. The TV may be a little close.

Awesome!! Thank you for that info!! Sooooo good to know!! Never considered that issue, since we have never owned an RV!!

While less than the Perfect floor plan we are happy with this unit for the following reasons;
First the drawbacks
1. Refer unassailable with slide in.
2. Kitchen unassailable with slide in.
Neither of these were deal breakers for us, we would just pack a lunch.

Now the good, as we see it.
1. King size kitchen for DW. (I win also as DW loves to cook)!
2. Table and chairs, just more like home.
3. Center door. I can let dogs out without passing end of hid-a-bed.
4. Master suite, grew to like very much, lots of room when taking shower, more space around bed.
5. ALL gas devices behind exit door!!
6. Large dresser in bed room (four large drawers and three small + large cabinet over head.

Keep in mind that all floor plans have trade offs, if looking for Full timing, the issues with items blocked with slides in become less of an issue, although the toilet is a biggie.

Good luck on your search.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I originally wanted a floor plan just like that one. My wife didn't like it because of the placement of the door. She said that when people enter the trailer they will walk right between anyone sitting in the comfy chairs who might be talking with someone who is in the kitchen.

She suggested we get a floor plan with the door in the center of the trailer. That way the living room will be its' own little room at the rear of the trailer.

We went with her preference. I'm glad we did.

Good luck and have fun.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:

Nice looking layout.

I wonder if the outside picture is what the RV looks like, or the floorplan shown. The entrance on this "Floorplan" is rear entry, while the picture is mid-entry RV.

Rear doors are great until you have to park in a campsite that is sloping downhill towards the back, and you un-hitch then lower the hitch side to near the ground. Your door will go up in that case, and you might have 12 - 18" before the lowest step from the ground.

Mid entry is much less likely to have a problem getting to the steps from the ground. Or if you are parking in nearly level private campgrounds, you will be fine either way. It is the more scenic state and federal campgrounds that many times are not level. Seems like the best views are in the most out of level sites too, that seem to be the last site available on Friday nights.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
No bathroom and fridge access while traveling, must have very close fridge access from the entry door while parked and the fact main TV not watchable from BOTH recliners all deal breakers. Mid door with fridge and bathroom close.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
with it being a NEW 2012 model and the 2015's on sale they should be offering a major discount off of window sticker .... depending on when they were made, the tires may already be around 4 years old and that can easily be a very bad thing .... tires that have been sitting for so long may look good but could easily have unseen issues with sidewall hardening caused by lack of flexing .... it might pay to have its value confirmed by NADA .... for me one minor concern would be the lack of a shelf or cabinet of any type beside the bed .... the TV location wouldn't be a problem for us

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had an Outback with a rear door. In addition to the previously mentioned problems with locating next to the pad and wet steps..... when the sofa bed was deployed, I had to climb over the corner of the bed to take the dog out. He didn't mind; he went under.

Access to the bathroom when closed up is one thing my wife checks first.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Not much elbow room at the bathroom sink,I sure would not care for the rear door location,as others have pointed out,the steps would be off the concrete slab in many parks,The recliner blocking the doorway would be a deal breaker for me.
I would say.....Keep looking,the perfect one is out there waiting for you to make an offer.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06