cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Organizing Basement

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to know what others have done to organize their basements. I dread the the thought of unloading everything just to get that widget out. I understand the concept of putting the most often used items in last but there have to be other ideas to help organize everything. This seems to be an area where an inventor could make a lot of money.
26 REPLIES 26

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
I put 2x2's like a rail system around the inside about 10" from the top. Add in a re-enforced chunk of OSB to make a removable shelf for lighter items like chairs. Covered it all in carpet I got from the stereo shop that they use to make speaker boxes so it kind of matched and done.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 zero-gravity chairs are too tall to stand on their sides, so they have to lay flat. But, because they're the "oversized" versions, they are too big to go on top of other stuff. So, they're always on the bottom. On top of them go our bag chairs, fold up tables (sometimes) and folding clothing rack. SO- to get the more comfortable chairs out, we have to unload too much carp.

My plan is to take either two 2x8 or 2x10s (depending on how tall the 2 zero-gravity chairs are when laying on top of each other) and stand them on their edge (2" wide by 8-10" tall). Then use plywood to tie them together on top and make a shelf, of sorts. They will slide in underneath. Then, it's easy in/easy out for them. Other stuff can get stacked up on top.

Everything other than "furniture" is in some sort of crate or tote. Either Rubbermaid crates or small Walmart plastic totes like was previously mentioned. I use these ones that the tops snap together for spare parts and goodies.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
A door on each side and a roll out shelf really help.

Two RV's with a slide tray and I would not be without one!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I made a hanging box for my two plastic camp tables. Really help to organize the basement. It was always a pain to need a table and have to dig it out from under chairs or whatever.
. I had a similar idea, but mine is inverted and sits on the floor - visualize a table about 3' X 4' X 16" tall. I put chairs on top of table and plastic milk crates, misc items under. Taller items beside table. Table is easily moved or removed if necessary.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a full slide out tray which is very nice to have but after something like 100,000 miles, hundreds of CGs in 7 years I am still in the hybrid stage of Rubbermaid containers & cardboard boxes, mostly beer cases.

Storage perfection is still a distant dream.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sele
Explorer
Explorer
The DW cleaned ours and organized ours using clear totes Know I can't find anything.
scott

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug, it's not really my idea. Although it's my version. I was looking at a TT or 5'er online one time and they had a similar setup that included a table. So I dreamed up my own version.

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
I use 24 qt milk crates. They stack neatly. Can see contents. Don't hold water and are very durable. Mine are 20+ years old.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Various size plastic bins with holders and tabs noting (in general terms) what's in the bin. Cheap and it works for me.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I made a hanging box for my two plastic camp tables. Really help to organize the basement. It was always a pain to need a table and have to dig it out from under chairs or whatever.

This is the kind of idea that I was talking about when I said that an inventor could make lots of money. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Some good ideas. I just cleaned ours out and got rid of things I thought we would need or use. Havent needed or used them for a couple of years so things got tossed like the oil change pan I bought to soak and clean the grill grates in, I bought fish pole holders to put on the back wall so lines didn't get all tangeled in the aluminum lawn chairs. Got rid of the bag chairs and used that compartment for the garden hose. Coiled the rigid 50amp cord into a bucket and keep all the adapters, dog bones ,30 to 15 amp accessories ect. in that same bucket. Always carried a complete tool box but not able to do a lot of the work because of health and would never use that many tools and it would have to be a major repair so I made the tools available smaller, hence a smaller tool box. Just have to evaluate every once in a while and get rid of what you just don't use or could get by with out if an occasion arose that you might need it. Tools I now carry, a 7 in one screw driver, a puck wrench that I bought at menards, 4.00 and an adjustable wrench, small vise grips. A small supply of electrical, fuses elec.tape wire strippers and son connectors. Teflon tape for plumbing needs. Never have used those tools much less the sockets and other items I carried.I probably removed 40 lbs from the basement and made room for nothing .We were carrying a sattlelite dish and the tripod but we are doing with out it for now and are going to get the tailgater dish. Wife had things to put backut like I told her, "We don't have to fill every inch of open area!" Especially when its me that has to put things away when we get ready to head home from the local campground and she goes to work from there.

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Stackable translucent bins with locking lids do it for us. You can find what you need quickly and stuff doesn't get wet in the rain.

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Stackable translucent bins do it for us. You can find what you need quickly and stuff doesn't get wet in the rain.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE FT so everything we own travels with us.

I learned early on that if I can't see it then I really don't need it.
Open any compartment door and items are right there in plain sight.

Folks pack why to much stuff
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31