cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

power wheelchaird in camper

Leighty_Family
Explorer
Explorer
good evening, we just purchased our first camper in almost ten years. Some things have changed since then. One we now have two kids so needed room for them. Two I was diagnosed with als. I currently use a power wheelchair full time. I don't do stairs but I can stand. We bought a toy hauler so I could use the ramp door to get in with my chair. The problems with that are not all camp sites have room for a 39 foot camper and room to lower the gate. Second we don't want to have to raise and lower the gate every time I need in or out. I found a company in Texas makes a lift for a walk in door, I can't seem to get a hold of them. I do fit through the doors of our camper with chair. Anyone one have any ideas. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
with all the different lifts i have seen on the road, there must be many company's building chair lifts. it just needs $$ to build anything you need.
sorry i am of no help with a link or name. but they are out there, good luck and watch out for the gypsters.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife had ALS and passed away in August. But I did a lot of research and modifications to cover her needs. First was the toy hauler, but one that had the bathroom next to the garage so she wouldn't have to climb steps to the upper level. Second, I removed the double queen lift beds and installed a hospital bed to the lift mechanism to make more room for wheelchairs and other medical equipment. Third, I purchased the Whill model Ci electric wheel chair, weighs only 115 lbs, breaks down into 3 pieces and is more maneuverable than any other chair. Her Phillips breathing machine fit under the chair rather than hanging out behind it. Finally, I bought a Multi-Lift. It is a battery operated sling lift with a 6 ft working radius and sufficient vertical lift to go from a wheelchair outside the camper to another chair or bed inside the camper. And it will maneuver the sling thru a 24" wide door. It will only lift 275 lbs. But in 5 min., I could break down the Whill, move it outside and reassemble it, pick her up with the sling and move her outside and put her in the wheelchair.

Because the Multi-Lift is portable, I also fabricated several mounting points inside our house so when we weren't traveling, I could use the lift inside the house for transfers from bed to wheelchair, wheelchair to toilet and wheelchair to living room chair. All of my modifications to the toyhauler and house were reversible. The toyhauler was traded in and the house is now for sale.

I also used a Braun transfer lift seat in my truck. It is set up for the passengers side, but as I recall it can be configured for either side. My son works for a mobility conversion company and he knows all the details. He is storing the Multi-Lift and transfer seat. Send me a PM if you want more details or questions.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Knew a couple that had a product like BB_TX spoke of for a relative who was in a wheelchair and mounted on side of their Cedar Creek in same fashion. Device also was used for their dog who was didn't like to be picked up and was up there in years. Not sure how much this would run you, but like the idea too of the custom made alum ramp.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Copied from a post I sent someone a couple days ago,,,

http://www.startrackslifts.com/Renegade-RV-handicap-seat-lift.html
https://www.mobile-lifts.com/motorhome-and-rv-lifts/
https://www.coachlift.com/rv-lift/

These are just a couple, others are out there. Just google RV entry lifts.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I know nothing about them, but here is one company.

https://www.mobile-lifts.com/platform-lifts/

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Would a custom built fold able aluminum ramp work for you? I'm sure it would not be hard to find a shop that fabricates specialty light weight ramps, that could be designed just for your entrance door.

Jerry