cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Price per mile

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.
26 REPLIES 26

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks on forums must have run out of room on their shirts for all the badges. The weight police, tire police, propane police, bumper mounted bike rack police, just this week the double post police were chartered here, and now the transport police.

leggy wrote:
What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.

Did not notice the OP even asked for opinions on the legalities of it. I'll hang my hat with laknox......sometimes having a little outlaw blood in ya is not a bad thing.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, hauling things for money opens a BIG can of worms. DOT regulation, insurance, vehicle inspections, licensing, etc, etc. Sure, you can probably get away with it a time or two but if you get caught the fines are steep. My area regularly runs stings on CL to catch unlicensed people doing this exact thing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to agree with the people who say the liability is not worth taking a chance on without the proper insurance. If you decide to do it anyway I would at least do a walk around with the owner and document any damage no matter how small.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Op here
I saw an add on Craigslist looking for someone to haul a camper to a location close to some family property and thought I could make a little money and stop by the property.

and what IF something happened? Will your insurance cover you when the guy owns the trailer get PO'd and screams about you damaging his pride & joy trailer. Our even if you don't and he claims you did? Do it rght with proper license or don't do it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
someone you know then I would go and do it, but a Craigslist add would make me nervous to even think of doing it..
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with others - that's a big risk for a small reward to do this on the side like that. My guess is that any accident would be declined by insurance unless you were registered and insured to do it (which comes with extensive costs of it's own) - and I wouldn't count on Joe Craigslist to lie to an insurance adjuster as to why you were towing his/her rig. That $100 weekend gig could end up costing thousands if things go awry.

IMHO - it's an all-in or all-out scenario. The middle ground is just too risky for me.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I'd be "moving it for a buddy/cousin/co-worker" at +/- $2/mile, cash. :B Keep gas receipts and say, "this is what I got paid; fuel only."

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Industry rates will vary greatly depending on location and if they are a dead head route.

If you are thinking of just picking side work, talk to your insurance agent first...my bet is the occasional haul won't cover the insurance and licensing requirements.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Op here
I saw an add on Craigslist looking for someone to haul a camper to a location close to some family property and thought I could make a little money and stop by the property.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:

I'm curious why you are asking? Are you getting quotes from others to move one for you? Or are you looking to do this to get paid? If the latter, you'll have to register as a commercial vehicle, and comply with all those regulations. I think there is money to be made doing that, but there is also a lot of things to consider doing that as well.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I just paid $1400 to move a TT 850 miles from FL to MD
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

I was just quoted $1.90 per mile... + $105.00 Toll fee to move a fifth wheel from Eastern PA to Indiana and back again.

I received 5 different quotes, and they were all in the same price range..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet