Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with battery. Experience guy needed

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, (problem solved go the last thread)

As you know i am new to RV
My toy hauler came with a cumins 5500w generator.

On our past two dry camping adventure we experienced dead battery.

We only use the batteries for light, water pump and furnace fan.
I am not surprised to use all the batteries with furnace pump and light but i am surprised that a 3 hour drive (hookup to the TV) and then 2 hours run of generator is not enough to recharge the batteries.

My dealer is telling me that those deep cycle batteries needed at least 24 hours hookup to recharge the batteries

I don t get it?

Also if i buy a solar panels kit is a 100W kit enough?

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
If you can keep some sort of trickle charge on your batteries, they will last forever. Just replaced our 8 year old batteries that were on solar while in storage. Good job.

Very true in winter all battery are stored with a battery tender.
I did the same on a corvette than was stored for years and after 10 years a $60 battery from autozone still works

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
If you can keep some sort of trickle charge on your batteries, they will last forever. Just replaced our 8 year old batteries that were on solar while in storage. Good job.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
If your plugged into your tow rig it should be able to start your generator.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up. I installed all LED (60) and the solar panel. Never had the problme again. We bonly use the generator for the microwave and can stay a week without having any issue.
When the RV is in storage and I come back to pick up after a month or more don t even need to charge it.
Best investment we did on the RV $200 for the solar panel and $300 for the LED

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for these answers and guidances
I ordered LED which will help
We found air in the water circuit which makes the pump running all the times
Solar i think i will get the 100w kit with the possibility to add a second panel later
The solar is mainly to keep battery charged while in storage and as we are in denver we have a lot of sun
Thanks again

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Here's what I use in my rig: http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B0092KVYGI

That a good idea i will get one

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
wwest wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
You can't power a battery charger with an inverter from the same battery bank and expect to get ahead.....That is impossible! You would end up 30% in the hole minus whatever the truck will trickle back there.

More available battery power, reduced consumption, or supplemental charging are the only solutions. I'm a big fan of solar if the sun shines in your area.

It is quite possible like wwest suggested above that one cell is bringing the whole bank down too, but regardless.....You need more storage than 120Ah to power a decent RV with minimal generator run time.

100W solar is enough for storage, but 200w+ would be better for boondocking.

Sorry, neglected to fully state: The inverter is to be powered from the TV while underway. Then the PD can supply whatever voltage level is needed to charge the "house" battery set.

I guess one could do that, but a 1,000 watt inverter isn't going to power a PD80 converter. Better off installing larger cable on the TV.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Cooter wrote:
You can't power a battery charger with an inverter from the same battery bank and expect to get ahead.....That is impossible! You would end up 30% in the hole minus whatever the truck will trickle back there.

More available battery power, reduced consumption, or supplemental charging are the only solutions. I'm a big fan of solar if the sun shines in your area.

It is quite possible like wwest suggested above that one cell is bringing the whole bank down too, but regardless.....You need more storage than 120Ah to power a decent RV with minimal generator run time.

Sorry, neglected to fully state: The inverter is to be powered from the TV while underway. Then the PD can supply whatever voltage level is needed to charge the "house" battery set.

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer

1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke90 wrote:
Batteries are
650A @ 0degF
810A @ 32degF
23A AVE 175min

The converter is a progressive dynamics inteli power PD9280
13.6 V 80A

I also have a progresive dynamics auto transfer relay swith PD52

Hope this help

Two 12 volt batteries in parallel...?

Weak or shorted cell on one battery will "soak" up ALL of the charging current leaving you with very little battery charge life.

Charge batteries separately and then check the individual voltages under light/low load. If not closely matched....

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke90 wrote:
Hi,

As you know i am new to RV
My toy hauler came with a cumins 5500w generator.

On our past two dry camping adventure we experienced dead battery.

We only use the batteries for light, water pump and furnace fan.
I am not surprised to use all the batteries with furnace pump and light but i am surprised that a 3 hour drive (hookup to the TV) and then 2 hours run of generator is not enough to recharge the batteries.

My dealer is telling me that those deep cycle batteries needed at least 24 hours hookup to recharge the batteries

I don t get it?

Also if i buy a solar panels kit is a 100W kit enough?

Thanks

TV will NOT adequately charge trailer batteries.

You need a 1000W MSW inverter and a good "smart" battery charger. Voltage drop/loss from the TV to the trailer will be to high to adequate charge the battery.

Even with the inverter you'll need to be sure the voltage supplied to the trailer is above 11 volts with FULL charging load.

Revision: use the inverter for powering the PD while underway.

Make SURE you have low resistance wiring, positive + ground, between the PD and the battery.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
you may also want to "de-sulfate" the batteries if you have a charger with a regen. mode. If the batteries were drained really low sometimes they build up deposits and this kind of shakes them off.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
here is the manual for your converter http://www.dyersonline.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/143/

check out the 3rd page; it describes the charge times

this page http://www.dyersonline.com/inteli-power-9200-series-80-amp-converter-charger.html has the links to the manual/install/spec sheet
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Smoke90 wrote:
The converter is a progressive dynamics inteli power PD9280
13.6 V 80A

Excellent converter. No upgrade needed. Should charge at 14.4 volts for a full four hours when the battery is low. Verify with your voltmeter. There is a pendent available to manually change modes if needed.

Solar kit looks fine. I would tend to add a second 100w panel from the get go.

You can buy brackets or make your own from angled aluminum stock from Home Depot/Ace. Yes they will hold up in all normal wind conditions.

Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics

If the battery was allowed to run down in storage it may have lost some capacity. Solar may help bounce them back... if not you will need to consider replacement.