cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question 2 - TV Upgrade Hitch Question

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Previously posted that I was upgrading from 2018 2500 Short Bed to 2021 3500 Long Bed.
I now own the 3500 LB.
Currently have B&W Patriot Slider that is 3 years old.
B&W doesn't make an adapter to fit the puck system in my new truck for the Patriot hitch. Only make for the Companion.
I have decided to get a new hitch made for the puck system.
An on-line search has created 2 new questions for me.

First, B&W makes a base for the Companion that utilizes the 4 pucks.
They also make a base for the companion that utilizes the Gooseneck puck. Anyone have experience with the 5th wheel hitch that uses the Gooseneck puck? Seems to me the 4 puck hitch would be more secure than the gooseneck. But I haven't yet found a video showing how the gooseneck one attaches.

Second question. How would you go about finding a buyer for the three-year old Patriot Slider?
I'm seeing them on Facebook Marketplace for as low as $200-$300.
The new Companion is in the $1500 range.
Any helpful hints or ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
MY B/W was round with a square post inside,very slick with the trx Andersen hitch.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
humblerb wrote:
laknox wrote:
I'm not sure if B&W has a version to use the OEM GN hitch, only the puck version. AFAIK, all the OEM GN hitches use a round post for the GN ball, where the Companion uses a square post. Also, the "standard" Companion is rated for a max of 20,000 lbs whereas the puck version can be had in 20k and 25k versions, for a Ford.

Lyle

I've owned my first truck with pucks for 24 hours now.
My truck's GN hole is round.
I did notice the B&W post is square.
If most OEM are round, when or how would someone use the square post?
Why does B&W make square when most trucks are round?

Sounds like I need to just go with the 4 pucks.

The square post is part of their add-on Turnover Ball GN hitch system. AFAIK, they don't seem to have any plans on creating a round post GN ball. I'd call them and ask, though.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I Have the B&W Companion with the pucks it works great
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you brought a truck without the puck system and had a complete B&W system installed you would see your hole is square for either their gooseneck or their companion hitch.
I have never had need for a gooseneck but one comes with the under bed frame attachments.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you should contact B&W. I “think” they make a post for the center gooseneck hole.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I'm not sure if B&W has a version to use the OEM GN hitch, only the puck version. AFAIK, all the OEM GN hitches use a round post for the GN ball, where the Companion uses a square post. Also, the "standard" Companion is rated for a max of 20,000 lbs whereas the puck version can be had in 20k and 25k versions, for a Ford.

Lyle

I've owned my first truck with pucks for 24 hours now.
My truck's GN hole is round.
I did notice the B&W post is square.
If most OEM are round, when or how would someone use the square post?
Why does B&W make square when most trucks are round?

Sounds like I need to just go with the 4 pucks.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Advertise the hitch at the lowest 50% of new on Craigs list. Try higher if you want.

I have owned both hitches you mention. They are both great IMHO. The puck hitch will cost more and is rated to tow more weight @ 25k . The The GooseNeck unit is rated at 20k and the head for both are exactly the same. The base is lighter on the 20k.

So since your truck has the pucks I would stick with that system simply because you may want a larger RV some day.

My truck has the 4 pucks for the normal hitch.
It also has a center puck for a gooseneck.

And, I am through buying trailers. Our current has 6" in front and 6" in back when in the storage.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Advertise the hitch at the lowest 50% of new on Craigs list. Try higher if you want.

I have owned both hitches you mention. They are both great IMHO. The puck hitch will cost more and is rated to tow more weight @ 25k . The The GooseNeck unit is rated at 20k and the head for both are exactly the same. The base is lighter on the 20k.

So since your truck has the pucks I would stick with that system simply because you may want a larger RV some day.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD