cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about procedure

I used a good paste wax over the past month on my fiver to get that deep protection and shine that I like.. The question I have is this- what do you all use to get the dry wax build up off the joints/seams?

Are there any other freaks out there like me who use a Q-Tip on every seam? There has to be a better way without removing too much wax from the panels . .

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
12 REPLIES 12

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too late now, but a friend uses masking tape to keep paste out of those places. Enough spray on between major waxing works for him.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Man I wish I would take the time to wash mine!

Your too busy making hitch removal instructional tutorials....:B

True!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I manage once a year , maybe twice . :B

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Your too busy making hitch removal instructional tutorials....:B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to work in a professional detailing service - never wax all the way up to the edge, never go over a joint, over rubber molding, edges, etc. Wax up to within about an inch or further. You don't have to get every inch for it do look good and do its job. When you remove the wax, it will spread to the other areas and you will never notice fade or lack of water repelling, etc.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure if you've ever used ProtectAll wax/polish? I've used it for years on motorcycles and snowmobiles. If you google, read about it, there is lots of good info. I'll add a quote below.
"NO TEDIOUS DETAILING

Protect All's unique formula dries clear in those hard to get to areas like the crevices around trim and molding. There is no white powdery residue that requires tedious detailing with a brush or Q-tip. Those difficult to reach areas have the benefit of Protect All's protection without the extra time and effort of detailing."

It will easily clean off the left over white powder, and will just add more protection. I use it on my tonneau cover too. Dirt/dust is not attracted to it, but has high UV protection. I just used it on my FW skylight, and have since new. It keeps it from getting brittle from sun damage.

The wash/wax all might clean the wax residue?

Jerry

Thanks to all..... I try for a solid coat of paste wax per year and use Wash-Wax All in-between trips..

I switch it up from Q tips to soft bristle tooth brush as well

Maybe I will try to spray wash-wax all on a rag and use that on the seams.???
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, too much new technology to relive the “Wax On / Wax Off” effort with modern paint and clear coats, and washing products and “Spray On / Wipe Off” products like Wash Wax All.

To the OP: Nice shine though.

fj12ryder wrote:
I knew there was good reason I never use paste wax. 🙂
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I knew there was good reason I never use paste wax. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
So..now we know why your truck/coach always look great! As a friend though, will be sending a therapist your way. 🙂

I do not like that dry wax on edges either. Plus, it seems to grow, if left in those creases. What I use in those hard to access little creases is ProtectAll. It will clean up those dry wax lines, and has carnauba wax in it. Use a small fiber rag, with a bit of PA on a corner to clean, and follow with a soft cloth on edges.

Jerry

I use a used tooth brush that's has gotten soft , to get in the creases , edges etc .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
So..now we know why your truck/coach always look great! As a friend though, will be sending a therapist your way. 🙂

I do not like that dry wax on edges either. Plus, it seems to grow, if left in those creases. What I use in those hard to access little creases is ProtectAll. It will clean up those dry wax lines, and has carnauba wax in it. Use a small fiber rag, with a bit of PA on a corner to clean, and follow with a soft cloth on edges.

Jerry