cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp door replace with a larger door

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
My current RV is a KZ 37k. I work remote out of this when we travel and attend our local chapter monthly rallies. I constructed a desk top that folds down flush against a side wall when I do not need the office and we use the ramp as a patio deck. We do not haul any toys. I am looking for something to replace this with and the nearest we can find that my wife and I have on our want list is the Keystone Raptor 3602RL for many reasons. The downside is the ramp door is too narrow as we like to sit out and it is a nice area for the dogs with the railings installed. My question is can the ramp door be replaced with a full width door like most toy hauler ramps? Obviously I am looking for a business that performs body work and customization to RVs that would perform the work. We are in Texas but we travel north to get out of the heat during summer months.
One thought I had was a ramp extension that folds out sideways once the ramp door is horizontal. This options advantage is no structural changes would have to be performed to fit a full size ramp door. My wife would like a full view though. Again just thinking of all possibilities, reasonable options.

Thank you for any suggestions you have.
8 REPLIES 8

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
jhlee wrote:
Carringb - what make an model is this so I can lookup more information? It looks very interesting.

Sorry. I should have included that with the pic! It's an XLR Thunderbolt 385 AMP.

XLR 385 AMP
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is what I currently have. As I mentioned I build a fold down desk that is flush to the wall just looking to find one that has a slide in the office area for more room.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
The only KZ 37K I found was a sportster which shows a full size ramp door. Not sure of the model you say you have.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
Carringb - what make an model is this so I can lookup more information? It looks very interesting.

Y-Guy - the back ramp for most toy haulers have a ramp that is the full width of the rv approximately 7' x 7' which is what I would like as we use this as a deck. For the garage area I need an office but would also want this as usable area when I am not working. If you look at the floor plan for the Montana Raptor 3602RL this is pretty much what I am looking for except the ramp door is only 4' wide. I have talked to Keystone and the support rep said the larger door can be installed and the corners have the support just the door frame would need to move and order parts such as a new ramp door, door supports and hinges.

I have talked to one RV body shop and they have elected to pass even though the manufacture mentioned is could be accomplished. Of course I do not have any type of estimate on the cost for the modification of the Raptor and I am still open to other suggestions anyone may have. Basically an with a ramp, generally seen as a toy hauler, that has a slide in what is known as the garage area. I say garage as most manufactures call it that but I would like this to be livable space that is comfortable and I can use as an office. I prefer a 5th wheel but I am open depending on the floor plan.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite the same floor plan, but here is one with french doors going to a full-width ramp. It moves the bedroom into the garage, but the huge kitchen or the living room could both be used as office instead.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Y-Guy
I'm having a tough time picturing what you want to be honest. But keep in mind resale value. Personally I'd look for another unit that fits the bill better rather then a massive and probably expensive add on.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jhlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have already anticipated the re-framing of the wall. If I go this route and if anyone know of an RV body shop or fabricator please let me know.

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully someone with model specific information can help.

I know that in general there is a steel frame around that door, on many it's the only vertical piece of steel on the while trailer (I saw one burn once, all that was left sticking up was that frame).

So modification might involve rebuilding the entire wall to expand that metal opening.

Good luck with the hunt!
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo