cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear fiberglass cap

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a Columbus 320 & did not order the rear cap. I think they look great but other than aesthetics, is there a true benefit? I would appreciate your thoughts...
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
(they don't know they're dogs)
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320

"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
34 REPLIES 34

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
jsr21 wrote:
but....very weird to see a trailer with a molded rear cap and a steel bumper

That is what sold me on it.

Hate the rear caps without a bumper. Fiberglass is a whole lot more $$$ to fix than steel bumpers....
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
The_Barbarian, you may want to check the Forest River Forum on the Blue Ridge. My wife liked their looks as well, so I checked it out. They seem to have more grief & negative posts than any brand I have seen.

This is not intended to be a slam. I have not owned one & don't known anyone who has. I just thought you may want to check the info if you are interested in one.
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
2015 Columbus 320

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
I was glad to see the option with the molded cap came with a bumper. Fiberglass doesn't flex like an auto bumper so I figured it would be easier & cheaper to repair or replace the bumper verses repairing the fiberglass as the end result of a small bump (from my actions or someone else).

I do appreciate the input because I had not factored resell as a benefit during my thought process.
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
2015 Columbus 320

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The roundness and angling in on the corners of the rear cap is what helps with mileage. Here is a picture of my 2005 29WBLX Cardinal. I moved from a 9,500 trailer with square corners to a 12,400 pound trailer with caps on both ends and get better MPG.

It does not appear the rear cap in question was design to help mileage, and is more for looks. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don Z wrote:
Columbus with flat rear cap:

Columbus with "aerodynamic" rear cap:

Don Z.

Thanks for the pics, Don. IMO, this is purely aesthetics and really wouldn't have any measurable affect on MPG, despite my previous post. MAYBE, if towed 100k+ a year...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goukcats wrote:
I should have clarified...it comes standard with the flat rear that is the same material as the sides. There is an option for a fiberglass contoured rear cap. I'm wondering if there are benefits for this option beyond good looks.

If you travel a lot, the reduced turbulence from the contoured cap will help your mileage. By a "lot", I mean 10's of k's per year, otherwise you'll never recover the cost. They can also make towing just feel more smooth, especially in windy conditions. How much is the option, anyway?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The_Barbarian wrote:
It seems like I am perputually shopping for a new 5th wheel now that my travel trailer is 13 years old. I have noticed on my top choice, the Montana 3150RL, that there is a rear fiberglass cap. On my wife's top choice, a Blue Ridge 3125RT, that there is not a cap. I too have wondered about the diffence. It makes me think that the Blue Ridge is of a lesser quaility of construction than the Montana just on that basis alone. Any insight would be apprecitated.

The Blue Ridge is the lower line of Forest River's Cardinal line up. The Cardinal is more on par with the Montana line up. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

The_Barbarian1
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like I am perputually shopping for a new 5th wheel now that my travel trailer is 13 years old. I have noticed on my top choice, the Montana 3150RL, that there is a rear fiberglass cap. On my wife's top choice, a Blue Ridge 3125RT, that there is not a cap. I too have wondered about the diffence. It makes me think that the Blue Ridge is of a lesser quaility of construction than the Montana just on that basis alone. Any insight would be apprecitated.
2007.5 GMC Sierra SLT Duramax 4x4 Crewcab
2014 Montana 3150 RL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jsr21 wrote:

I noticed that also. Sometimes it is hard to not look cheap! Chris

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trouble I see with a flat rear is I would always want to walk around the front of the trailer even if it was the longer route! As Atom Ant says, "I would think it would pay for itself at resale"! ALL the higher end units have rear caps!

Chris

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
I would have definitely got the rear cap. I would think it would pay for itself at resale.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
The big deal for me was that with the rear cap, it put a flat seam around the sides and top to seal it instead of the corner trim.

Less potential for water issues....
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
Love those frameless windows and diamond plate wrapped rear bumper.
Get the moulded back cap.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed