cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese R16 Hitch

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone with a Reese R16 or R20 hitch that has the yellow isolators should check them. I discovered that the 5/8" bolt that secures the head to the base on my hitch was off center and the hole in the isolators was elongated. I called Reese and they said they had a problem with the rubber being too soft in the yellow isolators. They sent me new up graded isolators that I just installed.
Here is a picture of the old ones and the new ones installed.

Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK
8 REPLIES 8

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread is reading like a b&w commercial.

Are Reese hitches really this much trouble? Or is it just post USA made Reese products?

In the TT tread there is a tread about a Reese shank that sheared in half.

There was the Reese fifth wheel hitch that let the king pin pop out of the jaws damaging the truck. The owner did a visual check and a pull test too iirc.

What's going on at Reese/cequent?
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DJsFolly
Explorer
Explorer
Got my first 5th wheel last Oct., first addition was the Blue Ox Bed saver. Read too many stories about latching situations. Saw what bed walls look like, nice TV needs new bed.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
TJS3360 wrote:
Not to highjack your post, but does anyone else have trouble with this hitch latching. We've had our R16 for a year and every time I hook it up I have trouble getting it to fully close so I can insert the safety pin. Had alot of trouble leaving the campground this weekend. Calling Reese today to see if they have any suggestions.

I found the hitch challenging at first. Through trial and error, I found a bit of lube (I have been happy with the white lithium) on all contact surfaces and setting the height of the king pin about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below the height of the hitch, lifting the trailer slightly when backing into it. Pops right in and latch closes every time. Just be sure wheels are chocked!

A bit more challenging for me was to get it unlatched when unhooking. I found by running the landing gear down to put where truck was lifting some, taking the weight off the hitch/king-pin has allowed me more success.

One other point to consider, I'm also engaging with Reese's Sidewinder and mindful of hitting it as close to straight as possible due to the wedge.

Hope it helps!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

TJS3360
Explorer
Explorer
bogart661 and rhagfo, thank you for the replies. Reese is sending a new head with the new isolators in it. Anxious to see if that helps. I'll report back. Great forum here.

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
Not to highjack your post, but does anyone else have trouble with this hitch latching. We've had our R16 for a year and every time I hook it up I have trouble getting it to fully close so I can insert the safety pin. Had alot of trouble leaving the campground this weekend. Calling Reese today to see if they have any suggestions.

We've had this hitch for about a year also, when we first got it I could not get the locking arm all the way down to insert my lock. I called Reese and we went through a bunch of procedures on the phone, none of which worked. They sent me a new head and it worked the same way. I started to try different things and found a solution, leaving my trailer wheels chocked and the landing gear just off the ground I pull forward and for some reason that relieves the pressure on the jaws and the handle moves to the complete locked position.
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TJS3360 wrote:

Is your pin and the jaws clean of dirt and excessive grease? Does the handle easily rotate down to the locked position? Does the pin line up when not hitched.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TJS3360
Explorer
Explorer

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 16k and there are no such items on mine.:h
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello