cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

retractable bed cover

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
thought i'd post this over here for a better response, I'm usually lurking in the Toy Hauler section.

we've have a 30' fifth wheel TH for 11 years, soon to be replacing it with a "standard" fifth wheel. The tow vehicle is a 2013 Duramax CCSB that is my daily driver/company vehicle. I leave the hitch in the bed 95% of the time as I rarely haul anything except the trailer so to "hide" the hitch I've got a Bakflip 4 piece folding cover. It works OK but is getting pretty ragged (bird **** eats off the anodizing and when you fold it on itself it wears off the anodizing and is wearing into the aluminum skin. Since the bedsides are so high on the newer trucks I can't have anything that remains above the rails when the top is open so limits me on what I can use. I had a soft cover and it was OK but I prefer the hard or roll up covers for security, longevity, etc.

What are folks using and why?

Thanks in advance.

GO DODGERS!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX
21 REPLIES 21

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
bogeygolfer wrote:
I'm on my 3rd Roll-N-Lock since 2005 and have been pleased with all of them. They are all still in use on my trucks.

My only problem with the roll and lock is the big canister in the front. I keep/haul stuff like firewood, etc. in front of the bed and the bakflip covers that. The canister would definitely be in the way. How heavy are the too? I do take mine off once in awhile.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Paragon tonneau cover, very well made and easy to remove when needed.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my 3rd Roll-N-Lock since 2005 and have been pleased with all of them. They are all still in use on my trucks.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I have a Backflip VP cover on my truck and it is covered with a one piece vinyl surface so no water or other wear has taken place in the past 1.5 years I have had it. It has a hard aluminum cover underneath the flexible vinyl. It operates just like the rest of them but might be a bit heavier to lift each section. Not a problem though. 🙂
Barney

I have the older version of that now, no vinyl cover. The aluminum skin is all scratched and messed up due to rubbing when folded and from bird poop. The vinyl top on this looks like it might fix those problems. I like this, no intrusion at the front of the bed and it fits perfectly over my hitch.

Thanks for the responses, all are good.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Sabretooth007
Explorer
Explorer
I have an aluminum Roll and Lock, I modified it by drilling 2 holes in the tail gate end and in the truck rails just forward of the hitch. I use 2 1/2 inch bolts to hold it in place. When towing I have it half closed for security and to stop things blowing out the back. When not in use it closes correctly protecting the hitch. My only problem is on a hot day I have to wear gloves because of the absorption of the sun on the aluminum. If I don't wear gloves I will burn my fingers opening and closing it.

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Went through 2 Bakflip. Both had problems under warranty. Finally went to Truck Cover USA. Great cover and great customer service. Had it 3+ years now.
Esacnj

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Backflip VP cover on my truck and it is covered with a one piece vinyl surface so no water or other wear has taken place in the past 1.5 years I have had it. It has a hard aluminum cover underneath the flexible vinyl. It operates just like the rest of them but might be a bit heavier to lift each section. Not a problem though. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Retrax Pro Matte finish, really like it, lifetime warranty, aluminum roll up and comes in a power model if needed. Covers my 5th wheel hitch and locks up for security. A little pricey at $1700 but it works.

Keith

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a roll-up soft cover and it works well and allows access to the tool box in the front of the bed easily
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Retrax for me as well and I am happy with it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Roll n lock here. Its very strong and the vinyl is standing up well. Secure as it locks to tailgate. No issues with water intrusion so items in bed stay dry. Only downside is ensuring your hitch head clears...I have about 1" on mine. Yes you lose a bit of space up by cab but I have room under that area for a 33 gallon fw tank. Very happy and I have had 3 units on my last 3 trucks.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a Retrax and am very happy with it. I had a Roll N Lock on my last truck and the Retrax is much better.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a retrax which rolls up in a box at the front of the box. It locks anyplace along the rail so it will cover in front of the 5th wheel hitch and keep things 'dry'. It only sticks up a fraction of an inch above the bed rails.

The bad is you lose some space in the front of the box, I have an 8' box so I still have storage space in front of the hitch.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Bakflip rolling cover and hated it. I had to adjust it several times to keep it rolling good. And it took up storage space. I’m back to a Bakflip folding and it’s as good as the one I had prior to the roll up .