cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof maintenance

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you have your roof inspected?
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
12 REPLIES 12

jlarocca95
Explorer
Explorer
I will be inspecting my roof more often. I had my Montana in to have the A/C looked at since it wasn't cooling as well as it should. The service guy called when he went up on my roof and found a scrape and tear in my roof apparently from a tree limb. We had just gotten back from a long vacation and it either happened on the way home or when I was bringing it to the Service Center so I was lucky it was caught so soon.

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I camp I go up on the roof. That's every other weekend. Clean it twice a year.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have a vertigo problem so I don't go up on the roof EVER, but every six months the service manger at my dealer cleans and treats my roof and checks and replaces caulk as needed. Yes he charges me for this, but it is well worth it for me. Especially since I can't do it myself. He does this on my home base site so I don't even have to move my rig.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
About every three months is what I do, if not more often. Every time I'm up on the roof for any reason I always do a thorough inspection. Look for nicks/tears as well as caulking that is looking suspect.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor replaced my roof EPDM and furnished all material...caulk, butyl tape and glue. They did not cover the labor. Trailer was 9 years old at the time.

I inspect the roof twice a year, look for caulk that is cracking.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
BusaGuy wrote:
Wouldn't it be better for the warranty if the dealer did it?
There is no real warranty on the roof...The only thing that is covered on that highly touted 12 year or whatever roof warranty that the salesman stressed so much...is the rubber fabric itself. It doesn't cover caulking, damage or damage from leaks. If the fabric gives out (highly unlikely) before the warranty is up they will give you new fabric, no installation, caulking or labor. That's all. And on top of that it will probably be pro-rated for the number of years it lasted. Pretty impressive isn't it? Don't believe me? Read the fine print and see for yourself.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be better for the warranty if the dealer did it?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
We wash the roof in the spring and the fall. Then we check the caulking and repair as needed.
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
uhhh senior moment..Jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I do it at least twice a year myself as our rig does sit in the sun uncovered most of the year. Most RV manufacturers recommend twice a year as well, I usually touch up suspect seams once a season using Dicor self-leveling from CW.

Same here.
I would recommend this as a minimum.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
There are too many variables for anyone to give a good answer. Here is a few: Age of RV, Construction of RV, Stored outdoors or indoors, Local climate (Arizona or Maine), local conditions (sappy trees etc.)

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do it at least twice a year myself as our rig does sit in the sun uncovered most of the year. Most RV manufacturers recommend twice a year as well, I usually touch up suspect seams once a season using Dicor self-leveling from CW.