cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Quality

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
Always amazed me how the RV industry gets away with poor quality product. If you purchased a Toyota Camry you are in the $26,000 range. If you purchase Volvo as example in $66,000 range you do see the $40,000 difference from inside quality to outside quality. They don't put cheap tires on the $66,000 Volvo or low par metal frame.

Yet in the RV industry I purchased a $30,000 Prime Time Crusader 5th wheel and compared it to a similar size $60,000 RV and I cannot see the $30,000 that justifies that increase in price. The roof for most are still rubber. Look under the seating it is particle board. What is worse the appliances inside are not top of the line that could justify the $30,000 price difference. Granted some top line models selling for $80,000 may be in a different league. I am saying I don't see the same difference in price between $30,000 RV and $60,000 RV to justify the difference. Yet in a car is becomes clear the difference and they don't cut corners in shoddy workmanship during the build like they do in the RV industry. I guess demand and supply is the reason why RV's have not changed in quality. The manufacturer gets away with it.

No offense to owners of any specific RV. People are happy with what they buy which justifies the price they are willing to pay.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS
82 REPLIES 82

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
justme wrote:
BTY proper engineering and QC does not need to cost more money. In fact poor engineering and QC does cost more money if one cares to consider warranty costs and loss of business.

It needs to be good enough. As long as units are flying out the door thanks to a booming economy and ultra low interest rates, junk quality is good enough.

x2 Just ask Wallmart.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

The unfortunate truth is that when the economy was poor and interest rates were higher people still prefered to save money by buying junk. Most of the better quality RV manufacturers went tits up. Generally RV buyers choose features over quality. The RV manufacturers that survived offered more features for less money at the expense of quality.

Unfortunately, that may be somewhat true. However, poor management, inadequate marketing, limited innovation and limited corporate financial resources are primary reasons for failure. The RV industry is no different in those aspects than other industries. However, the RV industry seems to promote customer loyalty over Quality. They do this with success using the Internet and social media. After visiting many of the RV forums, I am amazed at how the RV manufacturers have effectively promoted the use social media to promote comradery and brand loyalty of its users to minimize expectations of quality and engineering.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
justme wrote:
BTY proper engineering and QC does not need to cost more money. In fact poor engineering and QC does cost more money if one cares to consider warranty costs and loss of business.

It needs to be good enough. As long as units are flying out the door thanks to a booming economy and ultra low interest rates, junk quality is good enough.

The unfortunate truth is that when the economy was poor and interest rates were higher people still prefered to save money by buying junk. Most of the better quality RV manufacturers went tits up. Generally RV buyers choose features over quality. The RV manufacturers that survived offered more features for less money at the expense of quality.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
How long should an RV last? I think the answer compared to actual would be a barometer for quality.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
justme wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
justme wrote:
The interesting part is when an RV owner has valid complaints about quality and engineering, many choose to side with the manufacturer and criticize the buyer for the audacity to complain. Either the manufacturers are moles on the various forums or the those who stick up for the manufacturers are less than intelligent.

Problem is MOST have not a clue with what QUALITY is and DAT's DA facts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

justme
Explorer
Explorer
The interesting part is when an RV owner has valid complaints about quality and engineering, many choose to side with the manufacturer and criticize the buyer for the audacity to complain. Either the manufacturers are moles on the various forums or the those who stick up for the manufacturers are less than intelligent.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Consumers have ultimately laid the framework for the state of the industry. We are not willing to pay for quality (or buy the big trucks necessary to move a quality unit). How many Mobile Suites are sold compared to Keystone trailers? There are high quality units out there.... we just prefer go for a cheap one and then be frustrated about it (no slam intended at the OP.... I'm right there with you).

x2
consumers set the market... as long as people buy them they will continue to be produced cheaply as possible. at least they are not assembled in china..

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a high quality rv. We were thinking about trading for a newer model however could not find one with equal quality. We have a Carriage Cameo that has very little if any Lippert parts. I’ve dealt with Lippert and they are a poor excuse. Anyway we will stick with our 31ft. Cameo, that looks like new.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our unit last Spring, there were two on the lot. The visual difference in appearance of quality was unmistakable. There is obviously no guarantee the the unseen elements were different but I sure was a lot happier taking the one that at least looked good.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Without naming manufacturer and model, we took delivery on a 2019 model in late September. The refer quit working and the two opposed slides made noise, a heavy pounding noise. I removed some of the screws to take a peek and pulled out a Walmart bag full of construction junk. This will be our LAST RV, there is ZERO quality control.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a $15K 23' trailer to a $25K 32.5' trailer. I wouldn't say quality as far as workmanship are extremely different (both are good) but added amenities (larger frig, gas/electric water heater, recliners, larger entertainment system, larger/electric awning, electric tongue jack, larger slide out, much more spacious living area/bedroom/bathroom, larger holding tanks, etc., etc.) add to weight which means heavier duty frame, axles, large tires, larger brake assemblies, etc. I can clearly see where the extra $10K is between the two trailers.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
irishtom29 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder what my grandpa would be considered, then? He taught me to figure to 1/64". Not that I was any good at it, but that was =his= standard.

Lyle

Was carpentry his living or something he did for himself? Working tradesmen work to the standard set by the contractor.

That was me the picky MoFo Superintendent. Only people with high standards liked working on my jobs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
irishtom29 wrote:
laknox wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder what my grandpa would be considered, then? He taught me to figure to 1/64". Not that I was any good at it, but that was =his= standard.

Lyle

Was carpentry his living or something he did for himself? Working tradesmen work to the standard set by the contractor.

He did a lot of work for "himself", but it was gifts for others. His "trade" was as a woodshop teacher exclusively here in AZ, but also taught and farmed "back home" in IN. (Yes, there =is= a bit of a pun there.) He was famous for his teaching of using the correct tool for the job at hand and infamous for watching a kid who choked up on a hammer handle walk said kid over to the bandsaw, cut off the handle right next to the kid's hand and saying, "now, you have the correct tool", THEN he'd make the kid fork over a dollar for a new handle. :B (I heard later on that he'd give the buck back at the end of the semester if the kid did OK the rest of the time. :B)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle