cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide-out switch nightmare

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Keystone Challenger 34TLB, w/3 slides. There is only one switch for the slides, you must extend/retract them ALL, in a prescribed sequence, to move (any of) :@them. I wish I had a single switch for each slide so that I could extend/retract any ONE of them, to any degree, as I need. Anyone done this switch change over? Input? Thanks.
26 REPLIES 26

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Are they hydraulic slides? If so the sequence occurs with the slide with least resistance moving first, then the second least resistance, then the last one. The switch simply starts the pump and hydraulic oil pressure does the rest.

That is how my 2007 Keystone Montana with 3 slides works.

And if they are hydraulic your only option I believe would be to install electric solenoid valves on each hydraulic line coming off the oil line manifold near the hydraulic pump. With solenoid valves you could select which slides to enable and disable. I can only control my sequence by closing the little manual valves on each line.

If they are electric slides the above does not apply of course.

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG: "front side panel" Where might this be? Are you referring to a manual crank option for moving each slide?

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
FluteMan: I have emailed Lippert Components asking for operational details and schematics. (When @home, I live in Mohave Co.)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
unclescratch wrote:
For those of you who have the factory installed switch controlling the electric or gas operation, does the red idiot light function at all if you choose electric water heating 'only' ??:@

Good question. I'd have to check. I know that when the water heater is in gas operation, the red light comes on when it's on and off when off. Not sure if it does the same on electric. Come to think of it, I don't think it does, but it's noisier in electric mode so that's a good reminder in itself because it has woken me up at night kicking on.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We too only have one switch that opens all three in sequence, but in the front side panel, there are switches to open each one manually. Do you have this?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
unclescratch wrote:
Flute Man: I would expect to disconnect the existing switch(es). Locate the power supply to each (Lippert) slide actuating unit, and wire-in my individual switches from there. Sound feasible?

Feasible yes but maybe not so simple.
Jerry Parr

I am a retired engineer and specialized in complex control systems. If you could get your hands on a system schematic I could help you understand and figure it out. There might be some gotcha is in there that you need to know about. This is why I think contacting Lippert and ask them if there is any gotchas that you need to be aware of that or how itโ€™s tied into the other systems.
My number is 602-321-8141 located in AZ.
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't you just disconnect the motor wires and use 12V to activate the motor for your project?

Your set up sounds an unnecessary and undesirable restriction.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who have the factory installed switch controlling the electric or gas operation, does the red idiot light function at all if you choose electric water heating 'only' ??:@

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man: I would expect to disconnect the existing switch(es). Locate the power supply to each (Lippert) slide actuating unit, and wire-in my individual switches from there. Sound feasible?

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably a control board somewhere that handles the sequencing of all three of those slides. Finding it and figuring out how to bypass it with individual switches probably requires a little knowledge of electronics and being able to read the schematic if there even is a schematic.

Jerry Parr

Probably limit switches are also involved to help control the sequencing.

If I were you I would try to find out who the manufacture of that control system is not the RV manufacture but the people that actually made the control system and get a hold of them and ask them how you can add some individual switches to that system and maybe get a schematic from them.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

unclescratch
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378, care to elaborate? I wish I had a good schematic of how the factory wired all this. I need to replace the plywood sheeting over the bedroom slide, that alone is enough of a project w/o having all three slides moving all the time.:R

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a whole lot more involved than just a switch.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A