cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Toppers on a slide that has an awning attached

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there's a way to install a slide topper on a slide-out that has an awning on it?

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
14 REPLIES 14

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I don't have a lot of room above the slide on the left side to work with for mounting so the pitch will have to be what it is. Still a lot better than cleaning those slide roofs off. I'm still not sure I can put a topper on. The factory mounted the awning pretty high.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
This mirrors our experience.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Rob, I don't know how factory mounted our toppers, but they were an option and DW said she def wanted them even tho I was the one who had to climb up and sweep off the tops of slides. It was also asked to salesman if the 2nd awning could be installed at factory and they said yes, so we had that installed as well. One thing I wish the factory would have done was to mount the toppers a little higher up so rain would run off better. Either way, you don't want to be standing near them when you bring them in after it rains cuz it will be a like a cow P'ng on a flat rock.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the brackets for the slide topper are screwed into the slide top roof edge along with being through the flange. I believe the flange extends down over the roof edge. I could be wrong though as I don't have that trailer but think you would be fine mounting a topper on there.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

I have a slide with an awning as well

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a Reflection. I did check and they are pretty sturdy. They don't really feel like metal and they don't feel like plastic either. I'm not sure what mine are made of. I think they are sturdy enough to hold a slide topper though.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Thanks Rob. I always thought they were plastic. I learned something new today ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll look into a topper for that slide-out then.

Check the flange around your slide first - they may not all be metal. I just happens that's the way our Solitude is built.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rob. I always thought they were plastic. I learned something new today ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll look into a topper for that slide-out then.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Our dinette slide on the door side has both an awning and a topper (rig in signature).

Rob

It looks like the topper brackets are attached to the slide trim instead of the slideout wall. Is that how they are attached? I'm ok with doing that as long as that plastic flange or whatever its called is sturdy enough.

It's not a plastic flange - it's metal (and fairly thick) all the way around. Plenty sturdy.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Our dinette slide on the door side has both an awning and a topper (rig in signature).

Rob

It looks like the topper brackets are attached to the slide trim instead of the slideout wall. Is that how they are attached? I'm ok with doing that as long as that plastic flange or whatever its called is sturdy enough.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Slide topper and awning on our DS Living/dinning slide. Ordered that way from the Factory.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carefree used to make a combination slide topper and window awning. We have them on two slides. When the slide comes out of course the topper comes along, then if you want to deploy the window awning, you release a clip on each arm and pull down the window awning, clip the strap to the hook on the side of the trailer. I just replaced the fabric two years ago after 14 years of full timing. We love them, cuts down on holes and rollers, etc. But unfortunately I don't think they are made anymore since it is more "profitable" to sell you more goods and more possible trouble. I googled them and didn't come up with anything. I just thought of the name Carefree Omega". Bring this site up and there is a picture of the topper/awning.
https://www.toughtopawnings.com/products/copy-of-carefree-omega-awning-with-valance-test?variant=30311525974086

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
A friends trailer looks almost exactly like your picture (might be the same model) and he has slide toppers. So it can be done. I don't know if they adjusted the size or position of the awning to allow for the brackets though.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV