cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart car being transported on roof of tow vehicle

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I had seen it all, but today southbound on 81 was a pickup truck hauling a fifth wheel. On the roof of the pickup truck was a red smart car.

I don't know what to say, but I want to know more about it.....you know who you are, so fill us in!
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W
91 REPLIES 91

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to sharpen my Ploitness skills, but never did figure out what that actually was ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
ventrman wrote:
NHIrish wrote:
HELLO...this was just a little thread about one unusual thing seen on the road....keep your arguments over smart cars to another thread...don't steal mine!!!

I am sorry that I digressed. I do not really like the Tone of your Post. It sounds like an Order. I do not respond well to Orders. In the Future, I would ask that you phrase your Post as a polite Request rather than sounding like you are demanding something. We have enough Moderators on this Forum already.
Thanks.

Pretty sensitive for a thread thief. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you cannot respond with Ploiteness like I did, do not respond to me at all. Thankfully I do not have to look at any of your Posts after this.
God Bless!

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
thedoghouse wrote:
This it?

I don't know where I got the pic but it's out there

Wow!!! And I thought this guy I saw at a truck stop in Oklahoma City last January was out there. Different strokes I guess.

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Why is it folks can't stay on topic here? No one asked how you feel about Smart cars safety or your opinion's of them. This was just about what the OP saw, period.

And we all have the right to post what we want. Block who you want or just go to another thread.

BLOCK DONE!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I always want to put a sticker that says "not very" above the badge "smart car" !

I value my life and my wives too much to drive such a death trap.

With all the "sage advice" you like to post, I'm surprised you didn't do your homework before making such a silly statement!.:R

Check the safety features.

Check the crash tests.

Ever ride a two wheel death trap (motorcycle)?..:S

Or - is that (also) just too risky?..:h

~

You willing to go head to head with me in my Dually with 1,000# chunk of Cummins cast iron under the hood?

I did my time in a VW Diesel PU 300K worth with my knees in the dash just to save a buck. 44MPG, I realized my life and my responsibility as a Husband and Father were more important!

Oh ! boy , heard it all now, ever consider how that 1,000 lb. chunk of cummins would match up with 40,000 lb chunk of semi . With your logic you need to move up to a semi, to realize your responsibility as a husband ,and father.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You willing to go head to head with me in my Dually with 1,000# chunk of Cummins cast iron under the hood?

I did my time in a VW Diesel PU 300K worth with my knees in the dash just to save a buck. 44MPG. I realized my life and my responsibility as a Husband and Father were more important!

Weren't you a little suspicious when your wife and kids bought you a smart car last Christmas? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
Why is it folks can't stay on topic here? No one asked how you feel about Smart cars safety or your opinion's of them. This was just about what the OP saw, period.
Happens "allot" on here. Someone asks about a satellite setup, and people pile on with insults about how they never watch TV when camping. I think those are the folks who should "move along."

I think many on here just say what they really feel like saying in person, but can't. Or their reading comprehension isn't so good.

The moderators used to expunge all this kind of stuff - like in the coking thread - but lately they just seem to let it go.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
shum02 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I always want to put a sticker that says "not very" above the badge "smart car" !

Really? People die in all kinds of vehicles including pickups every day across N.A. This car is no worse than some and better than others. A blanket statement with no facts.

They look funny beside my truck but I'd have no issue driving it to work.

I don't need anything to back up common sense! If I hit one with my dually it would be destroyed.
And if a semi hit your dually it would be destroyed. What's your point?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

A whole string of people stuck in the fifties! Size and weight are no protection. The smart is one of the safest cars on the road as far as passenger protection goes. You have a full roll cage in the safety cell, anti-lock brakes, stability control, 8 airbags, etc.

I wrecked one smart (yes it was my fault) and all that happened was that the air bag knocked off my glasses. The poor smart was totaled (mainly due to European content on a gray market model), but the doors opened and closed perfectly after a hard front end impact.

Do some research before you blow off your bazzoo and show your ignorance.

Having done 30 years in LE and everyone who has will attest to the fact that size and weight does have a huge effect on the outcome of an accident. Don't think so? Go hit a train. Or go hit an tractor trailer head on. Yes, air bags do play a roll in survival, but most of the passenger vehicles do have the frame strength that heavier vehicle have and a smart car has almost no protection. What most people don't seem to realize is the forces at work when two vehicles meet. Smaller vehicles just don't have the mass to protect the occupants. Plus your roll cage, safety cell, and so on are nice for advertising, but just are that. Copy. Sure as long as you are hit by a vehicle of the same size or a bit larger everything is fine. But on the other hand, high speed, weight, and so work against you.

Back to the topic, I would not want to drive the pictured vehicle in a high wind area!
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:
NHIrish wrote:
HELLO...this was just a little thread about one unusual thing seen on the road....keep your arguments over smart cars to another thread...don't steal mine!!!

I am sorry that I digressed. I do not really like the Tone of your Post. It sounds like an Order. I do not respond well to Orders. In the Future, I would ask that you phrase your Post as a polite Request rather than sounding like you are demanding something. We have enough Moderators on this Forum already.
Thanks.

Pretty sensitive for a thread thief. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I did my time in a VW Diesel PU 300K worth with my knees in the dash just to save a buck. 44MPG, I realized my life and my responsibility as a Husband and Father were more important!

Frightening concept ๐Ÿ™‚
Getting back to the Smart Car, they are only used in parking space restricted older European cities

Really?? We'll assume thats humour. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
Now if he was pulling a boat behind the 5er he would all set.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that a smart car is not any heavier than a contractors roof rack with a collection of 20' 2x10s or other building materials.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Frightening concept ๐Ÿ™‚
Getting back to the Smart Car, they are only used in parking space restricted older European cities

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:

And we all have the right to post what we want. Block who you want or just go to another thread.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD