cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow and Ice on Slide out tops problem?

sandy43
Explorer
Explorer
Going to the panhandle of Texas late Dec.. I do this every year and I have always had problems with snow and ice on the slide tops. Is their a product that I can spray on the top of slides to keep the snow from sticking? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Recently had a problem with ice build-up on slide topper. Topper always sags with rain and I was not aware that water had frozen into about 1/2" of ice. When I retracted the slide the ice jammed and put enough pressure on the cable slide gearbox that it broke off several of the gear teeth. Still would function but with a terrible noisy,jumpy action. Had to replace gearbox. Will check for ice from now on.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I don't think slide toppers would be any defense against snow anyway.

If it were me, I would cut a piece of plastic to cover the roof area of the slide. Then lift it off just before bringing the slide in.
I didn't think the topper would help much with snow and ice but I was wrong. As the topper rolls up it dumps it just like a conveyor belt.

That's exactly how mine worked on the camper. Just like a conveyor belt. plop. plop. plop
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
memtb wrote:
You probably wonโ€™t like my remedy! This is something that we experience a few times a year... we winter camp in Wyoming. The method is โ€œnotโ€ fun and is dangerous, I sweep off the tops of the slides soon after the snowfall, before it melts and then re-freezes. The experience can take years off of your life just from the stress....more if you fall off ?? !

On another forum, a gentleman had a good remedy....if you have slide toppers. He built a support system (kind of like a tent ridge pole) out of pvc tubbing and fittings. He would slide the support between the slide roof and the topper. Helped minimize the snow/ice buildup, plus with a little creativity...remove the buildup off of the topper, without it getting on the slide top.

This is exactly what I do with the one topper that droops a bit and collects water when it rains. Really easy to do and it works great at keeping tension and slope so water runs off. I just made it out of 3/4" pvc pipe and don't glue it together so it disassembles and packs away compactly. Works like a charm.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:

If it were me, I would cut a piece of plastic to cover the roof area of the slide. Then lift it off just before bringing the slide in.

I have a slide topper and it worked great the one time we have been out in snow.

But I was thinking along these same lines as ScottG. The OP'er could take a plastic tarp and fold it or cut it to fit on the slide out roof, attach a couple of ropes and tie it up under the slide. Then when your ready to retract the slide, just untie and pull it off along with the ice and snow.

I do something similar on my truck covering the windshield so I don't have to scape the windshield in the winter.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

I didn't think the topper would help much with snow and ice but I was wrong. As the topper rolls up it dumps it just like a conveyor belt.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I was a Crater Lake Ski Patroller for 12 years. I took my pickup camper up there. Studded tires all around.
For a few years I didn't have the slide topper. I tried covering it with a plastic tarp. It stuck to the ice. I ended up taking tea pots of hot water to melt off the ice after shoveling the upper portion off. That sucked and was dangerous.
I chatted with other campers here on the forum. That said they did not have any problems rolling in the slide. They were right.
I installed the topper and it did very good. Sometime when I would roll it in, the blob of snow would just hang there till it was sticking out about a foot before it would fall off.

I sprayed the complete slide and topper with a silicone spray. Nothing stuck to the topper, but sometimes I would have waterfall chunks of ice stuck to the sides of the slide that would come past the slide seals when I slid in the slide.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
they make stuff you spray into the chute of snow blowers to keep the snow from sticking in them. they sell it on amazon and it is about $13 a can

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sandy43 doesnโ€™t like slideout toppers. I got that response in the Keystone forum.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
You probably wonโ€™t like my remedy! This is something that we experience a few times a year... we winter camp in Wyoming. The method is โ€œnotโ€ fun and is dangerous, I sweep off the tops of the slides soon after the snowfall, before it melts and then re-freezes. The experience can take years off of your life just from the stress....more if you fall off ?? !

On another forum, a gentleman had a good remedy....if you have slide toppers. He built a support system (kind of like a tent ridge pole) out of pvc tubbing and fittings. He would slide the support between the slide roof and the topper. Helped minimize the snow/ice buildup, plus with a little creativity...remove the buildup off of the topper, without it getting on the slide top.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide-out awning.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide tops are usually the same EPDM or TPO materials that are used for the roof of most fifth wheels. Be VERY careful of what chemicals you put up there - and how hot the water is. You could end up with some very expensive repairs. We've had the same problem once or twice and used warm water - not hot. The best cure is prevention. Slide toppers, tarps or rubber mats all work.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Consider adding a slide awning to just keep the snow off.

Don't they all HAVE awnings already ??

And I know it is not always possible but wouldn't closing the slides while the show is happening be a good idea......if practical ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"