Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting Point recommendations Bunk House 5er MFG and Models

hazmat17
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings All

We are considering a fifth wheel purchase in the near future in anticipation of the "great American out west road trip" in 2016 or 2017. Looking for some recommendations on brands and models to look at. Anticipate buying new or late model used.

Considerations:

Tow Vehicle
2013 Ford F350 6.7L diesel, crew cab short bed SRW
max payload of 3,300# leads me to a max pin of 2,500# or pref 2,000#
max trailer weight is 15,900

Anticipated Use
In addition to the above mentioned 3-4 week out West Trip, anticipate local New England weekend or week long trips. Our local campgrounds tend to be smaller, so not looking for a 40 footer.

Floorplan
I like the idea of the bunkhouse floor plan, my preference is not to make and unmake beds all the time. We are an active family of 4 (2 girls aged 7 and 10), focus is on a place to sleep and prep meals, vs. the most comfortable recliners and largest TV. Comfy beds for 4, with space for the occasional guest or 2 is sufficient. Storage for clothes, food and gear is a consideration as my family is not known for packing light. One bath is sufficient.

Budget
I'm a best value shopper vs. price. I will pay more for better quality, lower hassle, and potential resale. I'm not sure what my wife is thinking, but anything in 5 figures is within the realm of fiscal feasibility

Performance
Obviously looking for something that doesn't leak, in addition decent appliances, HVAC performance, good running gear. Expect that the unit will be stored outdoors including in our brutal winters.

Features
Looking for some advice here - Outdoor kitchen seems interesting - Are they functional or just a gimmick?. What other features should I be looking at? Cushioned pins? Jacks? Inverters, Generator prep? Other???

Specs
What size holding tank and water tanks are "appropriate" - many of the state parks nearby don't have water or electric hookups. I anticipate my short bed truck will necessitate a sliding hitch setup, or are there trailers that are designed with the shortbed use in mind?

So - after all that.... Which brands (locally available in New England) should I start with? Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

LoverMusic2416
Explorer
Explorer
Here are two other models with the mid bunk floor plan.

Heartland Oakmont OM 385QB (floor plan & photos available at www.heartlandrvs.com)

Keystone Montana 3950BR (floor plan & photos not yet on www.keystonerv.com)

My husband and I saw both models at the PA RV Show, Hershey PA in September. We liked the Oakmont model better than the Montana. That being said, we would like to see the Oakmont floor become available in the Bighorn.

hazmat17
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the additional recommendations. The mid bunk models look interesting. Need to keep an eye on weight with my SRW truck. As I read the forums, I'm seeing conflicting advice on length. Ranging from we've always found a campground to keep it under 30 feet... Decisions, decisions...

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at 5er bunkhouses as well. One thing to consider, your girls will grow so get the one that'll fit them as teenagers. Our 3 kids have doubled in size in 5 years and our current BH is getting a bit cramped. I want the BH at one end and us at the other end. Distance, distance...
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at bunkhouses too. The new rage seems to be the "mid bunk". Have you seen these floor plans? Pretty sweet. The bunks are in a separate room mid trailer. The rigs by blue ridge and Columbus feature a large loft above the room. This seems a very clever use of space. Sandpiper has a nice one but without the loft.
Here are a couple links if you're interested.

Blue Ridge

Sandpiper

We will most likely go with the mid bunk design as it seems to give a better living room configuration. This design seems to be the trend for 2016. Lots and lots of manufacturers bringing them out.

I personally wouldn't use a single rear wheel truck for these trailers but I know many would so, you can be your own judge.
Best of luck with your search!:)

Bighorns
Explorer
Explorer
So far we have had very good luck with our Cougar 330 RBK. WE ARE ON OUR 3 rd year with it. It has 2 bunks and a sofa that makes into a bed in the back bedroom and the dining table and couch in the living area makes into a bed and then the master bed. It has an outdoor kitchen which we actually use more than the indoor kitchen. Just like others have said you are probably on the limit weight wise with a single wheel truck.
2011 Duramax 3500HD Dually
2012 Keystone Cougar 330RBK

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Heartland Gateway 3650 BH. It has a large double slide bunk room with lots of storage and a half bath, an awesome outdoor kitchen with sink, fridge, TV, and although it has a gvw of 15500lbs the pin weight (loaded for travel) is only 2350lbs. The only thing is, it's BIG. 41', 5 slides, and 430 sq feet inside space, may be a little larger than you're looking for but your truck will pull it, NO problem.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

31dirtracer
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor kitchen is nice if it has a sink and mini frig. Will help reduce trips into the trailer to washup. The frig only runs on shore power, if you put cold drinks in it when you get there it should catch up quickly.
Another nice option to consider would be a half bath in the bunk area with an outside door going into the bath. Again limiting the foot traffic through the trailer.
'07 3500 SRW MegaCab 4X4 Manual
'13 CrossRoads Patriot 355BL

hazmat17
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
Grand Design Reflection 323BHS...

Looked at this unit today on the way to visit family. Wow really liked it, at least during the nickel tour. Looked at a couple other floor plans and sealed the deal on the bunkhouse floor plan. 13k gross trailer weight aligns well with my truck's capability.

Looking at the travel trailer version also confirmed that the fifth wheel is most likely the direction we will go. Significantly more storage space ( the fiver had an additional slide for the wardrobe

I can't get over how much the rvs have changed since my childhood. I guess it has been 30 years...

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bighorn Silverado 37qb, which is a bunkhouse floorplan with 4 beds and own half bath. We had 8 people in it for 4 nights last week and it was great until it rained all day Saturday.
The outdoor kitchen is a must have in my eyes. The only cooking done inside now is micro.
It is 40 ft and 15k gvw and i pull it with a '12 F350 short bed and have no issue, very little squat when i hook up and no real front end raising.
There are some issues that i have had with the construction but it seems everyone talks about similar things here about most every brand.
I do not have a slider hitch and we have an onan generator built in front hatch.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
That is usually the situation when you start looking for a 5th wheel. You may have the capacity to pull it, but the pin weight does you in. Don't forget to add in the weight of the hitch, usually 200-250 pounds.

** Forgot to say I also really like my washer and dryer. You might be interested in this, especially with young kids. Easy to do a load every day, since the washer and dryer are right there. There is a lot of pro and con discussion on these forums about the merits of having a washer and dryer onboard.

hazmat17
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the responses so far. I already own the truck and do realize that pin weight will more than likely be a constraint before I max out on the trailer weight.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Above poster is correct a 16,000 lb gvwr fiver will have a pin weight when loaded at least 3000. This is too much for your one ton SRW.
I would be looking at a fiver with gvwr under 13k. Don't forget to figure weight you will load for passengers, gear and hitch in the truck. Could be 500 lbs or more. Add in a 2600 lb pin (based on 13k fiver) and you are at your trucks gvwr.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I get a pin weight if 3180, based on 20% of a GVW of 15,900.

I'm not trying to start ANOTHER dually vs. SRW but it sure seems like you may want to at least consider a dually if you're looking at towing 16,000 pounds.

I have a 2013 F350 DRW crew cab, long bed, 4x4 diesel.

I hava a MorRyde Pinbox on my 5er and also a Hensley air hitch. I love them both.

If you get a short bed, Ford gives you the small fuel tank - 27 gallons I think. You may not be happy with that when getting 11-12 mpg on level ground or 10 in the mountains. The longbed gets you a 37.5 gallon tank. I also have a 40 gallon aux tank in the bed.

Things I like on my 5er -

twin AC and 50 amp wiring. Get 2 AC units if you intend to venture out of the NE. I am in California right now and everywhere I go it seems to be about 100 degrees.

The Lippert 6 way auto level system. I am the envy of the neighborhood when I push the button and 1 minute later it's done.

The big fridge.

I got rid of the 2 OEM recliners and got 2 good LaZeBoy rocker/recliners.

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design Reflection 323BHS...
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!