cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on how to hook up at an extreme angle?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 2014 3100RL Montana with Mor/ride RPB72-1116 king pin with a Demco Autoslide 18K 5th wheel hitch.

Last campsite we had to unhook at an 25 to 35 degree angle – the first time for us. When we tried to re-hook we had difficulty connecting the hitch. Any suggestions or tips on how to hook up at an extreme angle?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
28 REPLIES 28

That's the thing about a manual slide. You have to think about using it. With my auto slide, I'm using it every time I turn, in a parking lot or elsewhere, without having to think about it!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
I can't tell you how many times in the past 15+ years I've been reading RV fora, that slide hitch owners have said they spent the extra money for a slider, then never used it. More than a few said that the one time they needed it, the slides had rusted up so bad that they couldn't even use it or had to beat hell out of it to get it to move. Just sayin'...

Lyle

Friends with a F350 SB bought a big Toy Hauler and had a manual slide. I warned them to be very careful and told the wife to be firm with her hubby about using the slide. He took a big turn in the parking lot without sliding and sure enough blew out the rear window.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I can't tell you how many times in the past 15+ years I've been reading RV fora, that slide hitch owners have said they spent the extra money for a slider, then never used it. More than a few said that the one time they needed it, the slides had rusted up so bad that they couldn't even use it or had to beat hell out of it to get it to move. Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
laknox wrote:
FWIW, the B&W Companions can be hooked up at pretty extreme angles, if needed. Just sayin'...

Lyle
Avowed B&W Fanboi 🙂

Another great suggestion if you like conventional hitches . Those auto slides from what I have seen are more trouble than they are worth .

B&W does not make an auto slide. B&W owner is friends with PulRite owner and has not designed and made an auto slide because of their relationship.

I was just referring to auto slides in general . I know B&W only makes a manual slider . It just appears these sliders manual or auto can be troublesome. I never liked my manual slider . As said the simplicity of the steel Andersen makes it a trouble free hitch .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
laknox wrote:
FWIW, the B&W Companions can be hooked up at pretty extreme angles, if needed. Just sayin'...

Lyle
Avowed B&W Fanboi 🙂

Another great suggestion if you like conventional hitches . Those auto slides from what I have seen are more trouble than they are worth .

B&W does not make an auto slide. B&W owner is friends with PulRite owner and has not designed and made an auto slide because of their relationship.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle
Avowed B&W Fanboi 🙂

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
Avowed B&W Fanboi 🙂
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"the steel Andersen"

The ONLY Andersen "I" would ever consider.

Well when you tire of towing that monster fifth wheel, and go smaller , then you can go the steel Andersen . :B I have towed many miles with a conventional hitch, and much prefer the simplicity of the Andersen , obviously it doesn't fit the need for everyone , but it fits most .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"the steel Andersen"

The ONLY Andersen "I" would ever consider.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
We have a 2014 3100RL Montana with Mor/ride RPB72-1116 king pin with a Demco Autoslide 18K 5th wheel hitch.

Last campsite we had to unhook at an 25 to 35 degree angle – the first time for us. When we tried to re-hook we had difficulty connecting the hitch. Any suggestions or tips on how to hook up at an extreme angle?

I have no help other than what a good friend of mine did . He tired of the hassle with his Superglide auto hitch needing to be nearly straight on to hitch ,and unhitch . He finally dumped it ,and went with the same hitch I have now , the steel Andersen .

Martyn wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
Martyn suggested, "have a friendly neighbor hitch up to your trailer and pull to a spot where you can hitch up straight."

This alternative would also require that the locking plate be removed before hitching up with another hitch.

Not so - the locking plate is on the Demco hitch - the pinbox on the trailer is unaltered. That's one of the reasons I bought the Demco over the other slider, as their locking plate is on the pin box. Anyone can pull my trailer.....

I think it must depend on which pinbox a person has because my Demco auto-slider required a locking plate on my Trailair Flex Air pinbox. I know because (1) I installed it, and (2) I have to periodically remove it to grease the pinbox, and (3) I once had to remove it so a AAA tow truck could hook up to my trailer.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
After reading all the comments, I sure am happy we have a 8' bed on our dually.

EXACTLY!!!

#NOCOMPROMISE

No compromise here ,I can hitch up any angle I want with the Andersen . Plus the fact I have no worries about hitting the cab with my Ram truck ,having the shortest bed at 6'-4" .I can't go to 90 degrees , but I wouldn't if I could .

I have had many long bed trucks , and will never own another .

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is slider, but manual. only really needed it a coupe time in the last eight years. works well. As far as curved pull through sites, mostly have been able to pass the site and back in then park behind.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cptnvideo wrote:
After reading all the comments, I sure am happy we have a 8' bed on our dually.

EXACTLY!!!

#NOCOMPROMISE