cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing With Water Pump Switched On. Burn Up Pump??

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
My 5'er has two full bathrooms.

One is at the very back and is accessed by an exterior back door.

The water pump switch is mid trailer however and can be hard to access if all you're wanting to do is pull over at a truck stop and jump in the back bathroom for a quick break.

I want to I leave the water pump switch ON while I am towing, and at all the stops along the way, I therefore can get the kids in and out of the back bathroom and flush the toilet over and over and have running water.

Will leaving the water pump ON while towing burn out the pump motor or will it be ok?
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16
20 REPLIES 20

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only issue would be if you had a faucet jiggle to the open position - has happened to us with the kitchen faucet. We always travel with the pump off, but it sure started pouring water across the counter onto the floor when we turned the pump on at a rest stop. We were really glad the pump hadn't been on for the whole trip leg. We now leave a heavy rubber band on the kitchen faucet to hold the handle in the up position for travel.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about adding an accessable switch?

Normally OK to leave it on but there are several reasons why the pump could run dry, probably not the best scenario. And if it does the pump may well draw more amps than the TV charge line can supply which is also not desirable.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
Love this forum. You guys are appreciated. Thanks for the rapid responses.
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be fine.. But, I have accidently left mine 'on' after leaving the dump station or camp site and traveled some 4 hours and found that the pump was 'running' when I checked it or got home or whatever...

Must have been the bumps and movement of the rig that caused it to lose it's 'prime', as the pump is just running. Open a faucet or the toilet and it primes itself up again and pumps normally.

No, I don't have a leak in my system, as I can pump up the system, turn the pump off and check it DAYS later and the pump does not kick on until you open a faucet... ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know if you can go days and days with it running 'dry', but if it happens to kick on in transit for a few hours, does not seem to harm it.. I've done it several times too over two different TT's and I have yet to need to replace a pump..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, should be okay. I still always turn mine off when towing. If left on, not sure how full your bowl stays, hopefully not enough to slosh out onto floor.

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't hurt a thing. It has a pressure switch which, if working properly, will keep the pump off until water is needed. Towing has no effect on it at all.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman