cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Assist Insurance

mustang071
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have experience/ recommendations for Travel Assistance Insurance?
Stan & Ann-
with "Ranger Jack", the Guardian Sheltie
8 REPLIES 8

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Medicare's working pretty well for me, so far. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mustang071
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response everyone.
Stan & Ann-
with "Ranger Jack", the Guardian Sheltie

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Esacnj wrote:
I have it, not for the medical but for the return vehicle coverage. They say they will cover travel cost if something happens to me and a family member needs to come to me to bring my RV home or they will send a driver if I don't have someone. Difference is if I have someone, I can travel with them. If they supply a driver I can't travel with them.

If we are discussing Good Sam travel Assist {which I have had for a number of years} it is NOT insurance. It is merely a contract where they promise to provide services to get your rig, family, pets etc. back home if you have an emergency out on the road and are unable to do so. Read their terms and conditions carefully and know what to do if it is needed.

The number one rule is DO NOT attempt to find someone on your own to drive your rig home {or provide another service}. You MUST contact Good Sam first and let them make the arrangements or they will deny any reimbursement. Make sure your significant other is clear on this as in an emergency the natural reaction is to reach out to anyone who might be of assistance and if you do so you are on your own.

We have Good Sam travel Assist as we usually are towing our motorcycle, Can Am or Rzr and know that "stuff happens" and even a minor accident could render incapable of driving us home.
For about $100 a year it is for us at least, money well spent and hopefully never needed but...

I canceled a reservation at great CG that is hard to get into a couple years ago as I was recovering from kidney stone. While I really wanted to go my body had been through a lot including 4 days in the hospital, so elected to stay home... and in so doing dodged a large bullet. Totally unrelated to the kidney stone event 36 hours later I suffered catastrophic liver and gall bladder failure that necessitated a rush trip the ER {when I arrived my BP was 225/115 and it took 4 hours just to get me stable and I nearly stroked out}.

Two surgical procedures later {I no longer have a gall bladder} a $5000 2 hour ambulance ride from Payson down to Phoenix and a week in the hospital I was finally able to return home and begin my recuperation. Fortunately the VA covered all of the medical bills which totaled more than $126,000 after both events.

The point being we were scheduled to arrive at the CG at 1:00 and I went critical at 5. Had we been in the CG help would have been hours away {poor to no cell coverage} and my bride would have been stuck with our Class C, cargo trailer and bike and no way to get them much less herself home. By canceling, and a good dose of dumb luck we avoided a bad situation quickly getting much worse but had the worst happened at least the travel Assist was in place.

Like they taught me in the Boy scouts... Be prepared {it'snot a bad thing}.

:S

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
I have it, not for the medical but for the return vehicle coverage. They say they will cover travel cost if something happens to me and a family member needs to come to me to bring my RV home or they will send a driver if I don't have someone. Difference is if I have someone, I can travel with them. If they supply a driver I can't travel with them.
Esacnj

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Medical Emergency Assistance look into SkyMed or MASA.
Both will cover expenses during an emergency, but there is some differences between them.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think mustang may be asking about medical assistance insurance since Good Sam offers it. I don't have it but am looking into it.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
In our 50+ years of camping the wife and I never bothered getting insurance like that. Getting repairs on the road was never a problem and much less than any insurance costs.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assistance for a fifth wheel?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman