cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck ???????

Don2466
Explorer
Explorer
So, the biggest pickup i have ever owned was a toyota back in 1986 and a ford ranger some years later after i got out of the Marines, other than that i'm clueless about 1/4, 1/2, 1 ton, which is which in a chevy/ford.
even though me and the wife are a few years out from full-time, i'm still planning ahead. we plan on getting a 5'ver, 38-40 ft long.
whats going to be the BEST truck? already plan on getting a diesel.

thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
First question, why a 38-40' 5er? Have you even looked at models yet? What type of traveling do you plan to do? Seasonal moving from north to south & staying put for the season or some real traveling around the US & Canada?

For seasonal moving the 38-40 maybe fine for the CG site at either end. For exploring the country it will be too big. Some of the most desirable CGs are the state parks & National parks. There are very few sites accomodating rigs of even 35' in most of those parks. Something to think about.

There are plenty roomy 5ers in the 30-35' range. How much room does one really need? What is needed is smart use of room. If you are planning extended travel you need large galley space. Those little side only galleys just don't cut it. Counter space is needed not floor space.

Also, don't be dazzeled by the glitz. Look for quality of build & hardware used over gizmos like disappearing TVs & automatic leveling.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
If I had to do it over again I'd still go with my Dodge Ram 3500, with the 6,7L cummins and the 6 speed tranny it hauls my 15.000lbs plus fiver up and down the road with ease and I love cruising up the Smokey's with out feel I'm in too little of a tow vehicle and on the way down the exhaust brake is the only way to go, four door for guests n' grandkids, 8' box to carry what I need and add tracking stability add the Retrax locking tonneau and the stock locking tailgate to secure my gear and last but not least the dually rear end which believe me DOES make a difference. When you go shopping for the truck remember your dealing with sales people who probably don't know jack about hauling a fiver, get your opinions from actual fiver owners who are doing SERIOS hauling not weekends.

But the big reason I love my truck so much is it just looks sooo damn good!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
The best truck is the one that will handle the trailer you want.
HR

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dupe
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don2466 wrote:
So, the biggest pickup i have ever owned was a toyota back in 1986 and a ford ranger some years later after i got out of the Marines, other than that i'm clueless about 1/4, 1/2, 1 ton, which is which in a chevy/ford.
even though me and the wife are a few years out from full-time, i'm still planning ahead. we plan on getting a 5'ver, 38-40 ft long.
whats going to be the BEST truck? already plan on getting a diesel.

thanks

Pick your FW =first=, then pick the truck. You may find that you like a shorter/ligher rig that a 1-ton SRW will handle easily. If you feel you're still testing the waters to a certain extent, then a dually would be much better, allowing for flexibility down the road. Be aware, though, that =many= FWs in that size will overload even the newest 1-ton duallies and you're firmly into the MDT range; 450/4500 or bigger, or even a Freightliner Sport Chassis. For the most luxurious FWs in that size, you're looking Sport Chassis =minimum= with an HDT a better bet. You can get a fairly recent, used, tractor for significantly =less= than a new 1-ton, if you buy right. First rule to remember is that it's not what you can =tow=, it's what you can =carry=. If you do end up in the 1-ton class, I'm a Bow Tie guy and love my Duramax/Allison. This is available in the Kodiaks.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
wirenutz wrote:
and everyone wanting to look under the hood
Every man, in my case. Women, not so much.

they all want to see that shiny new CAT motor
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
The medium duty trucks are a great value if you are going to do some serious traveling. They also have a tighter turn radius than a CC LB 4X4. Used units are retro-fitted for RV'ers and are cost comparable to new and the lifespan is longer.
That being said I love my Dmax Dually crew! Most comfortable, fastest, vehicle we have, (others are an 03 Avalon and a 08 Odessay.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The "ton" designations are from a by-gone era and should be eliminated. Trucks are listed as 1500, 2500, and 3500 for Ram and Chevy, Ford uses one less zero.
Even these numbers are of little value. A modern day 2500 has more payload than some older model 3500 trucks. A modern 1500 truck often has a higher tow rating than older 2500 trucks.
You basically need to pick a trailer, determine it's loaded weight and pin weight and pick a truck with enough capacity to properly pull it. This does require research and math but is the only way to get it right.
It's always better to have a bigger truck than you need then to make do with one that is barely large enough or not large enough. There is a huge difference between a 1500 truck's frame axles, brakes, etc. vs. a 2500 series. There is often very little difference between a 2500 and a 3500.
For the size trailer you're considering a 3500 dually is probably a minimum. Depending on the truck, trailer, and how much stuff you pack in it you may need something even larger.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
One ton dually diesel. Brand is up to your personal preference

x2

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was also considering a 42' long toyhauler RV. However when it was pointed out that most Federal Campgrounds have a 30 - 34' length limit, and it is rare to find some in the 40' range, I have second thoughts.

Right now I have a 30' motorhome that I can get into pretty much any campground that I like. Once I even fit into a 26' campsite, by letting the rear end hang over the stop bumpers a few feet.

But starting with a 40' fifth wheel? That does sound crazy. I would suggest starting out a little smaller. Or better yet rent a RV from a friend, or a rental agency, and see how much you like it.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wirenutz wrote:
and everyone wanting to look under the hood
Every man, in my case. Women, not so much.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
we went from an 1990 Dodge SRW drive diesel 1 ton, to a 1999 Freightliner MDT, with all the bells and whistles to pull our 42 foot fifth wheel toy hauler, the difference was like night and day, no more white knuckle mountain driving, now its more like crank up the tunes and sit back with one hand on the wheel, now you might be thinking how much did that co$t, $30,000 far less than a newer 1 ton would cost, and twice the truck, on a side note the WOW factor takes a bit of getting used to, and everyone wanting to look under the hood
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
One ton dually diesel. Brand is up to your personal preference

Yep...make sure it carry tow almost anything...in long run it will save you $.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don2466 wrote:
whats going to be the BEST truck?

A class 8 conversion. For 5ers that big, go to Escapees HDT forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman