cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNGLAZED TILES

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WHERE TO BUY and what are they actually called by brand name and what do they cost. I went to HOME DEPOT and they did not know what I was talking about. I want about 4 of them to put in my fiver oven bottom to make the heat more evenly distributed but do not want to poison myself and others with the wrong tiles. Where to buy, what is the brand name and what is the cost are the questions.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
12 REPLIES 12

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We tried a couple tiles over the years. All broke. We continued to use one of those, the shards were large enough to still use. Got a small pizza stone from BB&B. Best choice IMO. We bake often.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for Saltillo tile. Unglazed, cheap and easy to find.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied!!! I will look for quarry tile or firebrick splits. Thanks again.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a pizza stone

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
air-bake X 2

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Pizza stone. In a pinch you could use it to make a pizza.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Quarry tile is the name most common for the unglazed tile.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This topic gets covered a lot in the cooking forum. A small airbake cookie sheet works well too. The objective is to diffuse heat. I vote for tile or cookie sheet under the item being cooked. However, many put it on the metal plate above the burner. I've seen it crack the enamel on the oven diffuser doing it that way so I go with on a rack under the food or directly under the food if it is a tall item.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you're near a very large city, there should be stores that sell nothing but tile in various forms, compared to the tiny selection of a Home Depot / Lowes.

I bought a whole box of 4x4 refractory tiles from Menards for less than one sandstone pizza stone. However years later when I went back for more they no longer carried them.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for firebrick splits. Or buy the pizza stone for the same money.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your better off getting a pizza stone every unglazed tile i tried had so many impurities in it they shattered after a few cookings

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start searching tile stores in your area. As a good alternarive stores like Bed,Bath,and Beyond sell pizza stones. Same thing albeit a bit more expensive. Why do you think you need 4? One 12x12 is sufficient to do the job.