cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Cones While in RV Park or Campground

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry three cones for emergency situations while on the road. I use them behind my rig if I have to stop along the shoulder of the road for more than a few minutes. What's been your experience when set up in an RV Park or campground? Are they useful when parked? Have they saved your rig from damage from others who may not be as careful? Is three enough when in camp?
MtnMike
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
2017 Dodge Laramie Longhorn Ram 3500; 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, DRW
32 REPLIES 32

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Only use I could see for them in the campground would possibly be using them as a guide on how you want to back into a tight campsite.

I found another use for traffic cones, this being the taller 3 foot variety.

Cut a little off the top, and a whole house water filter canister fits and sits in there quite nicely. Keeps things up off the ground when filtering water into your RV.

Other than that, add my vote for the reflective triangles also.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
We've gone in the opposite direction. Downsize everything. We carry a very few basic tools (pliers, multi-tip screwdriver) and that's it.
🙂
Lynn

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic cones/orange-------------For me, I find that the orange cones make for good visual reference points when backing up my 5th. wheel into my slanted storage space. I place the cone towards the front of the parking space on the white line that separates the individual RV units.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
bucky wrote:
At night the DOT triangles come in very handy. Daytime not so much. If they can't see a 40' MH or a 38' fiver while they are texting the cones are likely worthless.

X2. I don't think the cones will do anything in a campground.

X3
Have several DOT triangles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you pull into a campground and feel you NEED to use cones or triangles around your rig then PULL OUT
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't say I have seen any cones being used at the camp sites for parking...

I have seen the camp ground maintenance use cones to mark off a bad section or a closed parking spot etc...

I don't carry any cones... I do have a couple of traingle reflectors in the RV tool box...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only use I could see for them in the campground would possibly be using them as a guide on how you want to back into a tight campsite.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I also carry the triangles and have never used them in the campground and have never seen anyone use them in a campground.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

I would surround your site with orange cones . . .

At least it would give us all something to laugh about !

On a serious note , I would trade the cones for triangles , they would take up less space and be just as effective.. BUT, if you want cones for the road ,that's fine also. You should not have to use them in the campground , in all my years of camping , I have not seen the need for them on my site.
Happy Camping . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of cones are you talking about? Large, non-folding traffic safety cones with reflective stripes are 3 feet tall and are far more visible than triangles. But, they are huge and heavy.

The collapsible cones are kind of iffy quality wise and not very heavy duty. But if taken care of they do work.

If you are talking about the little 12 inch orange cones, then the triangles are easier to deal with and more visible. But... the little cones might help with backing into a campsite, and possibly putting them by a hitch (or under the hitch) to help prevent people from running into it.

As to campground use... have you looked at the "snowplow stakes"? The thin stakes with reflective tops. They are usually about 3 feet tall, only about 3/8 inch diameter, and can easily be stored out of the way. You do have to drive them into the ground a few inches, though.

Whatever works for you.

I carry the big traffic cones in my pickup truck for use at accident scenes (I'm in the fire department), but haven't used them while camping.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
At night the DOT triangles come in very handy. Daytime not so much. If they can't see a 40' MH or a 38' fiver while they are texting the cones are likely worthless.

X2. I don't think the cones will do anything in a campground.

MtnMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the great info. I am concerned with space and taking too much with us, but also concerned with safety. I'm trading in cones for the reflective triangles. Thanks, folks.
MtnMike
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
2017 Dodge Laramie Longhorn Ram 3500; 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Triangles are designed for roadside emergencies. While sites can sometimes be tight. There is really no need to use cones in a CG.
Nothing wrong with carrying them if you have the room but there are not a must have item.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We carry the Triangles in the truck. Like others noted, they take up less room, so they are easy to store, and can be purchased in just about any truck stop if you loose or break them. Good Luck and Happy Camping
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W