cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

want/need new hubs

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
This post is about which brand of hub/drums should I get, I don't want people to get distracted with why I need hubs.

This weekend I had a wheel come flying off. Thankfully no one got hurt and no damage to any vehicles or my trailer. Three lugs snapped off and the remaining ones were stripped. Not sure what caused it, but my guess is that the lugnuts came loose. I have a couple theories. First, that someone used an impact gun in the past and damaged the studs/lugnuts. Second is that somehow I didn't get the lugnuts on that 1 wheel tight enough or that somehow the wheel wasn't centered when I put the lugnuts on. I'll admit that I haven't used a torque wrench in the past, but I do use a cross bar and I put a good push/pull torque on them and I'm religious about the sequence I tighten lugnuts. I've never had an issue, but now that I have, I'm changing my normal procedures. (I'll take responsibility, even if I don't know for sure that it was my fault)

Since I don't know what caused the issue, I have concerns with the rest of them. I am going to change out all 4 hubs and the lugnuts, eliminate the idea that someone else may have damaged them. Dexter hubs/drums run about $150ish w/bearings. Lippert hubs/drums run about $80ish w/ bearings. I've read horror stories on Lippert axels/hubs, but they all seem to go back to a lack of bearing grease or poor quality grease from the factory (this won't be an issue for me)

I have Dexter axles and Dexter auto-adjusting brakes. Currently have Dexter hubs. However, I haven't found anyone who can say one hub/brake drum is significantly better than another.

Any inputs on one brand of hub/drum verse another?
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS
9 REPLIES 9

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
I was wrong, they are pressed in. Good news is that it will be easier to get the broken ones out and they'll be much easier to acquire. Took about 5 swings of my normal hammer knock one out. I will likely use this as an excuse to get a 3lb sledge, I'd hate to over use my swinging arm.

Really appreciate the help on this. You guys saved me a bundle of cash, but I'll have to burn a few extra calories.

thanks
Big Country 3494QBS

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think they're "pressed in" studs. I think they're screwed in. And the fact that they are 9/16" studs, they are harder to find. But still cheaper to order them and replace than replacing 4 complete hub assemblies.

I have to do some experimenting before I order a bunch of studs. Thanks for all the help
Big Country 3494QBS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hubs may not be interchangeable between brands. There are generic hubs out there but I wouldn't buy them. I have replaced studs on my Dexter hubs and it is an easy job and parts are available at many places.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Studs available at any auto parts store. Take one with you.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
just pound one out and take it to a parts store or tire shop and match it up or take the model and style of hub and order new studs.we replace them all the time at our tire shop.
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea with replacing the studs. I will do some research on that. I've replaced studs on a car before, but haven't heard of anyone replacing them on a trailer hub. Haven't seen them for sale, but you're right, they are pressed in, so it would seem that should be replaceable.
Big Country 3494QBS

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your hub are in good shape still . Why not just replace the studs and nuts and repack your bearing with new seals.Those studs just pound in and out
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I would use whichever hub matched my axles. Dexter hubs on Dexter axles. I have seen in the past that when the lugs were tightened with brakes applied, the drum was pressed out slightly. When the brakes were released, the lugs were no longer tight. As the wheel becomes loose, the threads are worn away. When enough of the lug nuts come off, the remaining studs break from being weakened by heat and flex of the wheel.

Sounds to me like for whatever reason, the lugs came loose. Usually damage from impact gun will result in cross thread when removing lug nut.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4