cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What brands of mid-price 5 ers are quality and reliable?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Including used as well. What brands are less prone to problems and are a good value?

We like the Shasta Phoenix for the pricing and design, but am not so sure about its quality. I have read about windows leaking and showers leaking, floor being flooded, etc. so am feeling leery about the brand now.

Would love to have some better-built brands to look for.
30 REPLIES 30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
stetwood wrote:

The 2 on my short list are a Jayco Eagle HT and a KZ Durango 1500. My preference is the KZ for several reasons, mostly due to larger tanks and an intangible perception of a touch better quality. Both have 2 year warranties, and that's uncommon in the industry.
Lyle

========

Just took possession of a KZ Durango 1500 251RLT. The floor plan is not ideal, you need to open the slides to eat on the road and to use the on-board bathroom, but the length, and water capacities are important to us. The drawer quality material is better than some, but I still removed them, sanded the edges, sides and interiors and coated them with water-based polyurethane. We opted for the booth and the cushions foam (probably a 1.5# density) will be replaced with a 4 or 5 pound density foam. I do like the location of the utilities, with exception of the electrical hookup, which is mid line and would be better in the rear.I have added an additional 20 amp line separate from the main box and will carry another 50 foot 10-3 20 amp extension cord for use at home and on the road.

========

Thanks for the info. I've noted these as things to look for if I ever get to actually =see= one.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jane,

Look carefully at what the all RV brands warranty coverage, what it covers and what is not covered. "Warranty" is just a word without the details and they differ so greatly. What a couple posters are getting at is that the Jayco 2 year warranty covers from hitch to rear bumper and also includes FREE roadside assistance for the 2 years too. Several of other things are also included too. Ask for a copy of their warranty at any Jayco dealership. It's free too!

BTW, Open Range is owned by Jayco too. one of the new lines will be called Highland Ridge. Jayco is huge and is privately owned and always has bbensince the 1960's, not corporate conglomerate held or owned. Jayco is the largest privately owned RV manufacturer on the planet Earth.

My post is just for your information and NO, I do not have any financial ties in any way to Jayco and do not own a Jayco manufactured RV but would be very happy to.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Sanibel also has a 2 year warranty.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
Im a Jayco fan since I bought mine in 05. Ordered from the factory and have been on 55 trips so far and counting. Jayco is a strong family owned company that cares about its products. Good Luck

And a 2 yr warranty
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
Im a Jayco fan since I bought mine in 05. Ordered from the factory and have been on 55 trips so far and counting. Jayco is a strong family owned company that cares about its products. Good Luck
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Not really...besides...we really don't have the time or the energy to drive all over creation to shop for one. I have not been well for quite some time due to mold exposure. If it is not within a 3 hour drive, it will just not happen.

The worst part of it, is that although I keep saying that I will take anything that does not smell, the artist in me kicks in and I have a visceral reaction to tacky and poor quality...! : (

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The new ones definitely will have the chemical odors - mine did. But being able to keep the windows open for a week or so definitely helps in that regard.

As you probably know, mold and mildew can be a real problem in the S.E. USA. So keeping a used one closed up while it's For Sale only contributes to that problem. May not be feasible, but shopping for one located in a northern state might be a possibility. Do you have friends that can help you look ?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
Stetwood, that's a lot of kitchen counterspace for a small trailer! And good bit of wardrobe space, too!

We looked at a Jayco HT yesterday, and there was light coming in from the outside in a wall crack near the floor in the rear kitchen model. It led to the outside storage compartment. No insulation whatsoever in that area, so that if you open the storage door, whatever temps are outside will go right in.

I am getting so frustrated....between the musty smells of the used ones and the chemical odors from the new ones, I am about to give up on them altogether. Being in a push to get one does not help either. It has been waaaaaay too stressful! I am looking into other modes of temporary habitation...I don't think that buying an RV can be rushed...especially for someone as sensitive as I am! : (

If only I could find a nice one that is about 3-5 years old, with time enough to have lost the new smell, but not so old that it looks worn and outdated....

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer

The 2 on my short list are a Jayco Eagle HT and a KZ Durango 1500. My preference is the KZ for several reasons, mostly due to larger tanks and an intangible perception of a touch better quality. Both have 2 year warranties, and that's uncommon in the industry.
Lyle

Just took possession of a KZ Durango 1500 251RLT. The floor plan is not ideal, you need to open the slides to eat on the road and to use the on-board bathroom, but the length, and water capacities are important to us. The drawer quality material is better than some, but I still removed them, sanded the edges, sides and interiors and coated them with water-based polyurethane. We opted for the booth and the cushions foam (probably a 1.5# density) will be replaced with a 4 or 5 pound density foam. I do like the location of the utilities, with exception of the electrical hookup, which is mid line and would be better in the rear.I have added an additional 20 amp line separate from the main box and will carry another 50 foot 10-3 20 amp extension cord for use at home and on the road.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't get discouraged, get smarter and you'll never regret it! You will open a whole new very fun chapter in your lives and gaining the knowledge from others will make it so much easier, faster, and save you big bucks too. Like the rest of us: You "ain't" getting any younger and that clock just keeps on a ticking!
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can save money buying used but that can often become a nightmare too. There are reasons the owner sold or traded in the trailer and very often he knows what skeletons are in the closet and seldom do they reveal this to the dealer or the private party purchasing it. Keep in mind that a dealer only want's to make money on the used RV's they take in. Usually, a dealer will check a trade-in's book value, do a walk thru to note anything obviously not right and the general condition. Then temper their trade-in value price offer by what they thing it will sell for on their lot and local/regional market.

Many to most people trading in or selling will cover up or bandaids over a defect they know is there and will almost clean all showing mold or yellow leak indication and much as they can. They also want the best price they can get for their RV. We've seen it no less than 100 times over the years helping family and friends find a good used RV. No real guarantee and usually a max of a 30 day warrantee from a dealer on used RV's. Many even have lots of restrictions on it then or only offer 50/50 coverage. Buyer, beware!!! And green buyers be triple aware and have a trusted knowledgeable 3rd person look the used RV over in detail as a reasonable help but may not still catch all flaws and issues as so many are hidden or have been hidden. For instance: Buying a 3 year old used car and 6 months later the transmission goes out, guess who pays? Probably didn't actually get a good deal on it then! Right? Same with an RV!

Buying used, you get only what it is and perhaps as close to your wants as you can and always remember that you too will be selling it again so getting the best bang for your buck is going to be applied to/on both ends of ownership.

Yes, there are many excellent condition used RV's at dealerships and private party selling. Something to remember is that the lower quality cheaper to buy new RV's usually drop like a rock in used value even when in very nice condition and can by bought quite cheap.

On the other hand, high end better quality decently maintained and clean RV's will usually hold their book and resale value high and for much longer and you'll be literally stunned to get one at a very cheap price. They normally don't sit long at all before selling.

Most any new RV on a dealers lot and most that have to be ordered can be bought for 25% to 35% off the manufacturer's MSRP actual $ listed amount if you dicker well and shop around and pit dealer against dealer. Many dealers are very slippery and fake a higher MSRP value so you think you are getting 30% off and it's really will only be 15% or less. Again, buyer beware!

We only buy new because we could and can and always pay cash as we like to collect interest, not pay interest. Not everyone can or will do this but that's their option or personal business to decide upon. We also like first use and having a hitch to rear bumper or bumper to bumper true full warranty for as long as possible.

Jane, go back and re-read your "dilemma" thread posters comments.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a new Montana today. Really liked all the features, except for the price.

I guess we would like to cap it around 30-35K at most. Of course, if we could come across a find for much less, all the better!

I think we had better stick with used....the fumes were really strong today in the new ones and I started feeling ill after a while of being in them.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you might get better information if you provide a ballpark budget on what you want to spend. I have bought used, then new, then used in a fairly wide price range (12K to 60K). I don't think I would ever buy new again should I have the opportunity to purchase another RV. My experience encourages you to purchase the highest quality used rig within your budget.

Best Wishes!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
Including used as well. What brands are less prone to problems and are a good value?

We like the Shasta Phoenix for the pricing and design, but am not so sure about its quality. I have read about windows leaking and showers leaking, floor being flooded, etc. so am feeling leery about the brand now.

Would love to have some better-built brands to look for.

We have a Forest River, and would not buy another brand. They have great service. We looked at a lot of trailers, and saw a bunch of junk from Keystone.
It is very important to find a good, honest dealer to handle problems that come up. Most dealers are great for selling trailers, but indifferent when it comes to support.
You can save thousands by buying a used trailer (1 or 2 years old).
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."