cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Toy Hauler today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
2,288 REPLIES 2,288

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
eightydo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I believe there are lock washers between the flat washers and the nuts, just like it should be done.

The "that is a no no defeats you purpose" comment is a bit confusing though.
Flat washer can turn moving the nut and lock washer soon all is lose.
Like I said in my earlier post, the nuts and lock washers were tight after two years use before I moved them. Two of the bolts went through steel before and (the other) two go through steel now. I'm not worried about it moving.

I am curious as to why you say the flat washer can turn. I suppose it can, but why would it? The carriage bolt isn't going to turn so the flat washer has no motivation to turn. I suppose if I did a lot more left turns there would be uneven force that might turn the washer. Or is it right turns?
While doing seismic bracing I was not allowed to use a flat washers and split washers at the same point.
06 Ram 3500 DRW
Edge Tuner, BnD Exhaust Break: Trans Cooler
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
eightydo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I believe there are lock washers between the flat washers and the nuts, just like it should be done.

Like I said in my earlier post, the nuts and lock washers were tight after two years use before I moved them. Two of the bolts went through steel before and (the other) two go through steel now. I'm not worried about it moving.

I am curious as to why you say the flat washer can turn. I suppose it can, but why would it? The carriage bolt isn't going to turn so the flat washer has no motivation to turn. I suppose if I did a lot more left turns there would be uneven force that might turn the washer. Or is it right turns?

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Removed the fuel station pump and stuck a bolt/clamp in/on the fuel line out of the tank. It was leaking and I just filled it up. I think its the line between the tank and pump but don't have time to work on it right now, off to Vegas this afternoon. Rubber line looks real bad, think ethanol got to it, could be contributing to generator issues over the weekend as well.

The government needs to shove ethanol up their butt.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that in this application a Nylock nut would be best. The only time I don't care for Nylock is when you're going to be reusing the nut: Nylock will loosen up the more often you remove it. They're best for onetime usage, maybe twice.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I worked in the can manufacturing business as a mechanic on the lines for nearly 40 years.

Yep...and like I said, in a steel application, no problem...correct torque is even better. We are talking about wood here...different story. If a nylock loosens, it isn't going to fall off. I cant say the same about a lock washer system. End of my 2 cents.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the wooden construction pictured you'd have to have a washer to spread the force. I've used washers constantly with lock washers and have never had any come loose, not that it couldn't happen, but I've never seen it. I worked in the can manufacturing business as a mechanic on the lines for nearly 40 years.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

06 Ram 3500 DRW
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
250Keith wrote:
Or use some loctite!! I my self don't like nilocks.

Whats wrong with "NyLocks", used many thousands of them over 45 years of wrenching.
Only in critical components that demand maximum holding power got grade 8 locknuts or safety wired.
Nothing wrong with lock tight, but for many applications a NyLock works well.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

eightydo
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I pulled of part of the underbelly cover so that I could move my wheel chock forward 16". 16" so that two of the four bolts could catch a steel cross-member.

I see flat washers did you use split washers (Lock washers)also.
that is a no no defeats you purpose.
06 Ram 3500 DRW
Voltage 3200
05 FLHTCI

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Doughboy12 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
I pulled of part of the underbelly cover so that I could move my wheel chock forward 16". 16" so that two of the four bolts could catch a steel cross-member.

Need to change those nuts to nylocks...
I'm oldschool - they have lockwashers. FWIW, when I undid them from the original position where they had been for two years, all four were tight.

At least I didn't just use screws from above which would have been much easier.

Lock washers are OK...but not for a wood application with the expansion and contraction...IMHO

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:
lincster wrote:
Holy crap. Did all of the wheel bearings, new seals, new grease, adjusted the brakes, greased the suspension, rotated the tires.
Changed genny oil, new oil filter, new fuel filter, new air filter, new fuel filters coming out of both tanks.

Today was a looooooooong day. That is alot of work!!!!!

That is a lot of work...Must be getting ready for dune season.

HAHAHA. How did you guess. ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
lincster wrote:
Holy crap. Did all of the wheel bearings, new seals, new grease, adjusted the brakes, greased the suspension, rotated the tires.
Changed genny oil, new oil filter, new fuel filter, new air filter, new fuel filters coming out of both tanks.

That is a lot of work...Must be getting ready for dune season.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doughboy12 wrote:
joebedford wrote:

Need to change those nuts to nylocks...
I'm oldschool - they have lockwashers. FWIW, when I undid them from the original position where they had been for two years, all four were tight.

At least I didn't just use screws from above which would have been much easier.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer

2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail